Removing an iron burn on carpet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My daughter has accidentally dropped the iron on our new carpet leaving a burnt mark. I have tried everything to cleaning and lighten the stain but nothing seems to help. The carpet is nylon.

Does anyone know if there is a way to fix the carpet without re-carpeting the entire area?

Sponsored Links
Sounds like an insurance job to me. Once you have a burn mark, especially in a nylon carpet, I don't think you have any chance of removing or disguising it.

If you have an offcut of the same carpet it can be repaired by inserting a piece in place of the damaged bit. I would think that it should be done by an professional for a piece that size.

Sponsored Links
Get the iron out, make more burn marks all over the rest of the carpet.

Its now a pattern and a talking piece :)

There is no repairing that, nylon, heat, no bueno. Sorry to hear about your new carpet. Possibly a carpet guy could patch it. They sometimes can sew it in and help blend. Best of luck!

Well as nobody has been able to come up with a reasonable solution, here's my "cover up bodge" which I used once.

I cleaned the area several times and when totally dry used a stanley type knife and gradually went over the mark several times just cutting the "burnt" pile and creating a softer area. Sounds nuts but my theory was that so long as the base structure could not be seen, and cutting away most of the burnt area, then the teasing of the pile simulated the original.

After a good clean again, this area did blend with the rest of the carpet.

I know it's not the correct solution but it worked satisfactorily for me.

good luck

I used many disposable razors to shave the burn out I made
Was on a newish light brown carpet

Definatly improved it

Felt like a kid again waiting for my mrs to come downstairs and find out what id done!!

Think I was using a wet tea towel and iron to steam remove some calpol

Try the razors it will make it less obvious

Phil

And if all else fails, other than the plant pot idea, perhaps a well-placed rug...

I burned a coffee table with an iron once - unfortunately, it was someone else' coffee table. Had to stump up 250 quid for the repair on it. I bet the table never cost as much as that in the first place.

My GF did this to the carpet in a rented flat. I managed to remove it completely using some fine grade wet and dry sandpaper (used dry).

Hope this helps!

A skilled craftsman can replace just a small patch of carpeting with no seams at all -- call a few local guys and get some bids. It won't be costly and will take very little time to accomplish. It's worth it if you're ever going to move that potted plant, my friend.

I agree with what some have said here – if you have a skilled enough person they might be able to repair it without too much issue. However, if you do not have someone like that (or cannot afford one) I would not recommend it. I have tried repairing my own rug after a similar incident and it looked so bad that I moved the television around to hide it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back