Removing an olive from rubber pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi what would be the best way to remove an olive from an old isolation valve which is stuck on our toilet water pipe?

Was tempted to carefully use a junior hacksaw
IMG_20220216_183724.jpg

Also once off I bought a Lever isolation valve as it was a nightmare trying to turn the old one off once it started dripping with a screwdriver. Am I right in thinking I need a female coupler to connect to the other end of the valve and then to the toilet?
IMG_20220216_183753.jpg

Sponsored Links
What you need is a straight replacement look for strait tap connector with isolating valve.
Will go strait back together maybe a couple of turns of PTFE round olive.

Sponsored Links
What you need is a straight replacement look for strait tap connector with isolating valve.
Will go strait back together maybe a couple of turns of PTFE round olive.
Trouble is I can't shut off the valve with a screwdriver there's simply no room it was a nightmare trying to shut the old o e off in the end I had to turn the water mains off.

Don’t use any jointing paste on plastic pipe.
I've just used a new olive and the new Lever isolation valve trouble is I now need something to connect the end of the valve to the inlet valve as the ends different to what I used before.

Managed to get the old olive off and have attached the new valve.

BR302A.jpg

Last edited:
Would this be ok

Tighten to the other end of the iso valve and then should just screw onto the toilet valve
ae235 (1).jpeg

Would this be ok

Tighten to the other end of the iso valve and then should just screw onto the toilet valve
View attachment 261217
Nice ideal but probably won't fit. That's fitting is designed to slip over a standard 15mm copper pipe and then be soldered onto it so a standard olive and fitting will probably be too small to take it.

OP, you had a service valve on that pipe not an ISO valve, that has a tap connector end on it, not a compression end (as linked to by @JimCrow) . Buy a good quality service valve and it shouldn't leak alternatively Pegler also do a ballofix lever service valve but they aren't cheap.

th

Nice ideal but probably won't fit. That's fitting is designed to slip over a standard 15mm copper pipe and then be soldered onto it so a standard olive and fitting will probably be too small to take it.

OP, you had a service valve on that pipe not an ISO valve, that has a tap connector end on it, not a compression end (as linked to by @JimCrow) . Buy a good quality service valve and it shouldn't leak alternatively Pegler also do a ballofix lever service valve but they aren't cheap.

th
Guess I'm going to have to go back to the valves I can't shut off if there's a problem.

Last week we came home to the ensuite flooded, just thought it would make things a lot easier with a Lever.

Maybe you didn't understand Madrabs post and pic of pegler valve. That is exactly what you need. It connects directly to the WC float valve ,it has a lever to isolate ,and will connect to your existing compression fitting. It's ideal.

Maybe you didn't understand Madrabs post and pic of pegler valve. That is exactly what you need. It connects directly to the WC float valve ,it has a lever to isolate ,and will connect to your existing compression fitting. It's ideal.
No I understood and I appreciate the help but it's almost triple the price so that's put me off

Last edited:
No I understood and I appreciate the help but it's almost triple the price so that's put me off

a) It’s the correct replacement.
b) There’s much less chance of it leaking in the future.
c) Quality has a premium, buy cheap, buy twice.

Last edited:
I once made the mistake of buying lever valves from toolstation when building a mate's bathroom. 2 years down the line, I got a phone call saying that water was flooding the room downstairs. Fortunately, the valve snapped at the supply, rather than the feed side. By the time it was turned off it had created about £6000 of damage. I showed an image of the break to someone that works with metals, he suggested that the crystalline nature of the metal suggest that the product was of poor quality. I would now rather pay the premium for a Pegler. £5 vs £12 vs £6000. Seriously, it is a no brainer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back