Removing animal/hide glue from old chest

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I picked up a set of old drawers from the local auction recently - I intend to use them for displaying various bits and bobs.

If you look at the pics here: //www.diynot.com/network/user_album_update.php?album_id=8917 you'll see that it's a small unit and the drawers are quite shallow with small wooden knobs.

It obviously needs a bit of TLC, for which I need to remove the knobs. These look to be fixed on with hide/animal glue - dark brown and a bit powdery. Once I've got the knobs off I'll sand it lightly, stain and polish it up and hope it brings it back to life.

It's tricky to get at the knobs from the back - just a small hole where you can see the dried glue. Is it correct that hot water will melt the glue? But won't this warp/damage the surrounding wood?

Any ideas or suggestions as to how I can remove said glue so I can re-use the knobs afterwards?

TIA,
MM

View media item 34512 View media item 34512 View media item 34512 View media item 34512 View media item 34512

Sponsored Links
Traditionally, animal glue came in chunks, and it was melted in a cast iron pot over boiling water. It was then brushed on to the job.
In your case the glue will soften so long as you apply gentle heat - I wouldn't use water as it will stain the wood. Try using a hot air gun gently at first and heating up the surrounding area without scorching.....if you keep twisting the knobs they should come free. Wipe off as much glue as you can when its liquid, then its out with the glass paper.
John :)

Old Tip! Get a piece of brown wrapping paper and the missus's iron. Place the brown paper over the glue and heat the iron to moderate hot. Place iron on brown paper over the glue and circulate gently for about a minute. Remove iron and brown paper. Most of the glue should now have melted and stuck to the brown paper. What remains on the wood can now be sanded out.

Sponsored Links
pour some meths into those holes at the back of the drawer front and let it soak in - the glue will disolve and the knobs will come free. Be careful to mop up quickly any surplus meths that leaks out etc...

And the winner is..... METHS!

Basically, the holes are quite small, and awkward to get at - I even tried using a soldering iron at one stage, to no avail.

Tonight I went down the meths route with more success - a pipette (length of clear tubing from Halfords) got the meths to the spot, and a bit of twisting got some of the knobs free. I'll have the rest out tomorrow night.

Thanks once again!
MM

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back