Removing Bath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Stripping the bathroom before having it redone. I've shut off both the hot and cold water valves to the bath but there's still a slow stream of water coming out of the tap. They're pretty tight and i'm hesitant to turn them any tighter in case something gives. Having read around it seems these valves can be rubbish?

Should I drain the system or can I get away with pulling off the current fitting then going straight on with a stop end?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Well you can and it is known as snatching but if it goes wrong you get wet! Instead try undoing the screw and removing the red wheel then with a 6 or 8" adjustable spanner on the square end of the spindle try to see if it will close a little bit more.

Gate valves are crap ,drain down and change them for lever operated ,full bore isolation valves. If you don't ,you will just have grief further down the line.

Well you can and it is known as snatching but if it goes wrong you get wet! Instead try undoing the screw and removing the red wheel then with a 6 or 8" adjustable spanner on the square end of the spindle try to see if it will close a little bit more.

Thanks, I tried that but I think i've jiggered it now because it's just turning with the same constant light flow

I'll be changing them I was just hoping to be able to clear the room myself to save some dosh before getting trades in. Guess I'll have to look into draining the system or getting a plumber in

Sponsored Links
Thanks, I tried that but I think i've jiggered it now because it's just turning with the same constant light flow

I'll be changing them I was just hoping to be able to clear the room myself to save some dosh before getting trades in. Guess I'll have to look into draining the system or getting a plumber in

If you turn on the taps downstairs will the pressure running to the bath drop enough to enable you to do what you want without getting too wet?

BTW, I fully agree with terryplumb about replacing the gate valves with full bore levers, erm.. but not the crap ones (with the yellow handles) at Toolstation. I had one snap two years after I fitted it. Flooded the house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back