Removing brick Fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya, our place had a horrendous decorative brick fireplace which I tried to almost successfully remove. I’ve removed most of it out and want to brick it up.

My question is to do with the lintel. There was a smaller metal bar hanging around behind the old fireplace which just fell out, but did have a few bricks on top of it, they just fell away. I think this was a later added smaller arch. I continued to open it up and there’s a wider one supporting the arch of bricks now which is sturdy. See pic. It’s a curved metal bar about 2.5 inches wide.

Would it be safe to say it’s safe like this?

I want to brick it up, but do I need to support it? I’m under the assumption that the original fireplace was this size...

What do you guys think? Cheers b

Sponsored Links
See picture! Tks

Attachments

• C674D15A-768E-4703-8555-6A2D52EF12F2.jpeg
    C674D15A-768E-4703-8555-6A2D52EF12F2.jpeg
    210.7 KB · Views: 291
pull all the rubble out and brick it up if the base is solid. dont forget to vent it and make sure theres a good solid base with a dpc.

Sponsored Links
Personally I think bricked up chimney breasts with vents in look bad. Why not open it up to the original size, tidy it up and just fit a plate in the chimney with a vent in. Lots of things you can put into an opened-up fireplace in addition to fires - flowers, wine racks, music systems etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back