Removing bricks with cavity insulation in place

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Following some long term damp issues, a surveyor wishes to remove some bricks for closer inspection, however the cavity is filled with cavity insulation.

I think it is polystyrene beads.

This is a 1970s block of flats, 4 storey.

The cavity was filled less than a year ago, despite my concerns about damp. Before the insulation was put in, a so-called survey was carried out, assuring me the damp was not a problem, and that the insulation can even solve the damp!

Now the damp surveyor wants to remove a few bricks, the cavity insulation company say it would void the guarantee.

How easy is it to top up the walls with insulation again?

Or is it common practice to let the insulation pour out till it stops, and then just leave it with gaps in the insulation?

Main question; what is the correct procedure in this case, bearing in mind getting the damp issue solved is my top priority?

Sponsored Links
Don't know what the correct procedure is but one method may be the following.

Mark out the area of bricks to be removed. Cut through the mortar joints with a grinder or similar tool. Now insert some stiff panels, (thin sheet steel, plywood, hardboard etc), both horizontally and vertically so as to touch the inner leaf brickwork. The idea is to retain as much of the insulation as possible. Some will 'leak' through the edges of the panels but if they are fully inserted and not disturbed the loss should be minimal. You will of course lose the insulation from the area of bricks that are removed but this can be replaced by topping up through the last brick hole to be filled in.
When replacing the insulation remove the lowest horizontal sheet, bed the line of bricks in place and top up insulation to top of bricks. Bed in the next layer and again top up insulation. Carry on working like this until only one brick is missing. This will leave a minimal amount of missing insulation that will fill in as the last sheet is removed allowing the granules above to fall and fill the void. The missing granules will now be at the top of the cavity and shoukd not be noticeable.

Was thinking along those lines myself.

Was hoping only one brick would need to be removed, but imagine more access may be needed to have a good look round, as one theory is that there may be a blockage in the cavity.

Was told the insulation was mixed with a thin solution of glue to hold it together, but no doubt some of the insulation will have to be taken out.

I imagine there must be a sensible way round this problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back