Removing Bristan 1901 ceramic indice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
please can anyone tell me how to remove the ceramic indice from a bristan 1901 basin tap

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
i need to remove the ceramic 1901 "logo" disc (indice) from the top of the tap

Best ask Bristan - cuz I`ve just looked @ mine and , same as you can`t see an obvious way to remove indices - and that`s after 30+ years in the trade :oops:

I have a similar problem. Just ordered a replacement set of indices as my 'hot' ceramic disc had come off and cracked, but the new ones have come with a metal part and rubber seal attached. It was only the ceramic part that had come off so i'm wondering how to get these bits out of the tap so I can put the new one in. It doesn't look like they (un)screw so i'm presuming if I can get a decent grip with plyers on the bit remaining to pull it out, then the new ones will just push in. Not sure though!! And a bit scared to try!!

Looking at this exploded diagram it looks as though they just push on/pull off:
View media item 35770Presumably, Steve, from your description you've got the parts marked 1 HC. (Or possibly 1H for hot?)

One way to remove the indices is to glue a wooden rod onto the indice using a hot glue gun. Wait for it to fully cool and just pull the indice and it's brass mounting out. Most of the glue will come off with boiling water. Then clean up residue with alcohol. Have some epoxy ready to reglue the brass mounting to the indice - it'll probably drop off.

You'll probably discover a heap of corrosion inside the tap handle as water finding it's way around the edge of the indices has nowhere to escape. A small hole drilled through the 'metal' handle will allow this water to drain out and provide a way of poking the indices out in the future.

Mike, appreciate you're new to the forum, just a small bit of advice but check the dates on the OP. I'm sure it was all fixed/replace a long time ago :)

Rob, perhaps read the thread first? By all means point me to any other solution posted in answer to the OP - if you know of one. Meanwhile my post, although 'late' is the only answer I've been able to find.

I did Mike, that's why I gave the advice. I do also appreciate that it may not have had an answer until now but you will usually find that any posts older than a few months on the forum especially when the OP hasn't been on the site for 4 years, probably isn't going to need an answer any more.

But hey, it's an open forum after all.. so you fire away m8....(y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back