Tap connector issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm fitting some Bristan 1901 basin taps to a big old Royal Doulton sink. The ceramic is so thick where the taps fit, that once the nuts are in place under the taps, there isn't enough thread left to screw the tap connector fully home. Does anyone have a solution?

Thanks
Richard

Sponsored Links
Thinking about it you probably still won't have enough space but is worth trying.

Sponsored Links
Maybe you'd get away with a brass socket (Toolstation 43908) and a hexagon nipple (63570)......it depends on how tight the tap is in the hole.
Of course, you could always invert the sink, and scoop out some of the ceramic with a stone disc in an angle grinder.
John :)

Maybe you'd get away with a brass socket (Toolstation 43908) and a hexagon nipple (63570)......it depends on how tight the tap is in the hole.
Of course, you could always invert the sink, and scoop out some of the ceramic with a stone disc in an angle grinder.
John :)

We're pretty much clear of the hole; it's just the thickness of the ceramic between tap and nut that is the issue. So much of the tail is used up that there's only a few mm left below the nut; enough to engage the tap connector but not enough to screw it home.

I thought maybe there might be an ultra-slim nut I could use.

Cheers
Richard

Use one of these with a 1/2 inch top hat washer then throw away the nut & olive
A 15mm x 1/2" female compression adaptor with the nut and olive discarded..........
..........otherwise known as a 1/2" tap extension, which most merchants will stock.

1-2in-Brass-Tap-Extension-MXF-BF705_large.jpg

Use one of these with a 1/2 inch top hat washer then throw away the nut & olive
A 15mm x 1/2" female compression adaptor with the nut and olive discarded..........
..........otherwise known as a 1/2" tap extension, which most merchants will stock.

1-2in-Brass-Tap-Extension-MXF-BF705_large.jpg

Excellent. And that will make a proper seal screwed to the the few threads I have available on the tap itself? Should I use PTFE?

Cheers
Richard

It's basically the same as what i showed you except screwfix don't sell it.You would be best to drop some fibre washers into the fitting so as when it screws up tight you have no gap and the end of the tap is tight against a washer if not ptf around the tap thread.

It's basically the same as what i showed you except screwfix don't sell it.You would be best to drop some fibre washers into the fitting so as when it screws up tight you have no gap and the end of the tap is tight against a washer if not ptf around the tap thread.

Thanks. However, this doesn't sound any different from what I could do with the tap connector itself ...

I'm obviously missing something here.

Cheers
Richard

Thanks. However, this doesn't sound any different from what I could do with the tap connector itself ...

I'm obviously missing something here.

Cheers
Richard

You are using this fitting as a COMBINED backnut and tap connector thus giving you a bit more thread :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

What i meant was that you can use this fitting as the backnut and then have a decent amount of thread for the tap connector.

What i meant was that you can use this fitting as the backnut and then have a decent amount of thread for the tap connector.

Aha! Light dawns as the sun rises. Thank you very much indeed.

Cheers
Richard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back