extending basin taps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
i have recently taken some old imperial taps off our cloakroom sink and want to replace them with some metric bristan 1901 vanity sink taps.
of course the threaded tails are to short.

Basically the old taps went to an elbow connecting with a threaded connection and at the other end of the elbow is a compression fitting to the pipe which comes horizontally out of the wall ( bent tap connector??).

My DIY books says "not a problem just get a shank adaptor to lengthen your metric tap to the length of your old imperial tap" - however no one ( have called every plumbing merchant around me) seems to have heard of such a thing.

We have tried adding a straight connector thing onto the tap first but this is too long - it probably only needs extending about 12-15mm.

I haven't yet tried a female coupling 612 as I will need to go and buy one and maybe this will do the job but wanted to see if anyone new of a product or the name of what I'm asking for and who sells them or had any other suggestions.

Why is it the simple jobs become the biggest P in the A.

I have tried flexible connectors but there is not enough room - I could cut the pipe back to try and squeeze them in as a last resort but it still looks rubbish as the sink is small and they look really clumsy.

Any help appreciated. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the perfect time to call a proffessional plumber - thats what I would do in this situation ;)

Would replacing the bent tap connector with a straight tap connector soldered onto a street elbow do the job?

Or using a different style of bent tap connector? Solder ring fittings tend to be a bit longer than end feed ones - that may gain you about half an inch.

Use a 15mm x 1/2" female adaptor. Remove the nut and ring, drop a fibre washer (or 2) inside the female and tighten on to the taps. It will fit now.

You won't find a "shank adaptor" as that is some invented name from mr diy book. It is called a 1/2" M&F

Sponsored Links
Americans sometimes call these shank adapters. Your average Scottish plumber probably thinks the USA is just some invented place ;)

Needs extending about 12 - 15mm?

Fit a ballofix valve, that will extend the pipe enough.

On speaking to an american couple in barbados, said we came from scotland.
Would that be scawtland, eengland.:confused:
No. its where mel gibson runs around with his face painted :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back