Removing Chimney Breast - Advice??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Advice required please..........
I am considering removing my chimney breast, brief detail as follows:
Small 3 bed semi, 1970`s, chimney on outside wall.
Chimney has been removed above roof level and roofd re-slated, etc.
What remains is approx 1 foot square of chimney in loft and one bedroom.
Chimney breast in main living room approx 1ft deep, 4 foot wide.
would like to remove in order to create extra space in bedroom and particularly living room.
Would love to hear anyone else`s experiences of doing something similar or indeed any advice/suggestions.
Not likely to be doing this project myself (maybe loft & bedroom stack removal at most), will be caling in builders to do main removal and make good.

Any help/stories/suggestions welcomed.

Thanks

Mike

Sponsored Links
fire places definitely add character to a room so taking out a chimney breast does not want to be done lightly.

you will still have an outside wall to fit a gas fire so you could take out the chimney and still keep some of the character.

usually houses that have chimneys have one at the front and one at the back. often the back of the house nowadays with central heating lends itself to having the chimney taken out. usually the smallest bedrooms are at the back so the extra space can make sense.

the job will be fairly messy and involves structural work so not a straight forward diy job. the stack is usually cut off at the upstairs ceiling level ie additional supports are added in the loft area. this is done to minimise the work on the roof. as you've already had the roof modified then sounds like it will be much simpler to do.

in short if character is not going to be affected too much (ie selling feature when you want to move on) then go for it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back