Removing Chimney Breast From Loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My neighbor removed some of his chimney stacks and supported the remainder with a gallows bracket in his loft. I am now doing a loft extension and want to get maximum space so also want to remove as much of the chimney as possible. How much of the breast can I remove in the loft? Can I remove it right to the roof line and leave the bit that pokes out of the roof?

My builder suggested I get agreement from my neighbor and he will remove the joint chimney on our roof's and make good my neighbours roof. However my neighbor is a knxb and I know he wont want me to touch the joint stack. How can I get round this?

Sponsored Links
You can't remove your half of a stack unless you want the the neighbours half to fall into your loft.

The PW Act won't necessarily allow you to remove a neighbours half of the stack.

And you need to be careful doing any work at all if the neighbour has used gallows brackets.

Hi Woody, let's assume I somehow manage to get agreement to remove the whole stack on both sides. I know he has used the gallows brackets, how will this make the job more difficult? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Chimney breasts tend to be poorly bonded, and mortar affected by flue gas. They are relatively weak. One half on brackets can rely on the other half remaining for stability.

So it's always best to be able to properly assess the other side of a party wall when removing one side of a stack or breast.

Thanks woody! Final question is- can I remove the chimney breast in the loft but leave the bit above the roof line intact providing it is supported?

That might be difficult as you may well need to support it from part way down the party wall - which may look crap in the room.

Get a structural engineer to look at it - from both sides if possible

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back