Removing chimney breast in lower ground and a knock through

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently purchased a house and planning to remove 2 chimeny breast in the lounge. It's a mid terraced 1930s house. The upper floor ones have removed already by the prev owner. Looking at the survey report it said,

"The chimney breasts in the first floor have been removed and the remaining masonry is supported by cantilever (gallows type) brackets. These are not considered satisfactory in the long-term and should be improved or replaced"

Not sure what he meant?

So do I need BG involved to remove the lower ground chimney breast?

In addition I am trying to remove partition wall that seperates the kitchen from the through lounge, at the back of the property, to create kitchen diner area at the back.

I had two builders around; one said it's a load bearing wall and he needs to put a beam, while the other said it's not a load bearing wall :confused:

Now I could make an application to the council for them to visit and confirm but have to £166 for that.

Sponsored Links
Gallows brackets are not ideal in all situations, but if they are already in, and there is no evidnce of any problems, there is no reason they shoud be removed. Has the surveyor seen any evidence of movement in the brackets, or is he just covering himself at your expense?

As the lower chimney breasts are now not supporting anything, there is no need to involve the council.

As for the wall, no-one here can say whether it is loadbearing or not.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back