Removing chimney from back upstairs bedroom...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There is an unused chimney breast in the back bedroom of a semi house, the chimney has been taken out below it in the downstairs back room, I have no idea how its supported until I pull the floorboards up.
How would I support the chimney on the right in this picture....

loft.jpg

I know I'll have to go to build regs etc but I'm after people's opinions and experience.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
1. you would support the flue on the right the same as any other c/breast/flue.

2. Do as you propose, and lift the boards. Come back on here with details/dimensions of what you find. Follow any in-situ support to wherever it leads.

3. research this forum, there seems to be an awful lot of recent info on c/breast removal. familiarise yourself with the regs, and your responsibilities to neighbours.

4. what do you propose doing in the loft/bedroom? Why must you "have to go for regs"?

5. make it easy on yourself, and clean up the area before going any further.

6. Pics of what you reveal, and of the roof stack would help.

After reading some posts on here I see people tend to respond with 'see your local building regulations officer or building surveyor first'
I also assumed I'd need some sort of certificate to say it's been made safe?

That picture is when I moved I , I've since then cleaned and insulated the loft.

I'll do some more research and take some more pictures once we've got the floor up.

Thank you

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back