Removing chimney in kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, we are planning to refurb our kitchen, the house is fully detached 1920s and it has this interesting chimney in the left far corner of the kitchen. The actual chimney is in the room adjacent to the kitchen and we are not planning to remove that. However, we would like to remove this particular kitchen chimney 'corner' as you see in the picture attached. Ideally, I would like to remove the extra sustaining walls on the left and right as in pic so we can make the most of the space. We have a small bedroom above the kitchen and there is no chimney on top of this particular 'corner'. There is a visiting hatch. Those big pipes in the corner have also been removed in the bedroom upstairs so the ones in the picture are not going anywhere ... I suspect tiles are hiding a lintel and I may need building regs ... but I am keen to get a skip and knock down most of it myself with some help. What do you think? Have you seen this before? Many thanks!
Kitchen 1.jpg
Kitchen 2.jpg
Underneath.jpg
Visiting hatch.jpg
Inside visiting hatch 1.jpg
Inside visiting hatch 2.jpg

Sponsored Links
Looks like it could of burned in at some point ... Depending on what it's supporting above i s joists easiest way would be get structural engineer to design gallow brackets if your council allows them or the S.E may say fine knock it.down

Last edited:
OP,
You show an old fireplace, and the remains of a chimney breast that had an original solid fuel fire, and later a cooker/Aga?
Now you want to remove all trace of the old chimney breast from that room?
Whats your final purpose - is the dividing wall between the kitchen and that room going to be demolished?
The dirty flue with the SS liner is going somewhere - does it stop in the floor above?
Whats on the other side of the wall and door on the left?

OP,
You show an old fireplace, and the remains of a chimney breast that had an original solid fuel fire, and later a cooker/Aga?
Now you want to remove all trace of the old chimney breast from that room?
Whats your final purpose - is the dividing wall between the kitchen and that room going to be demolished?
The dirty flue with the SS liner is going somewhere - does it stop in the floor above?
Whats on the other side of the wall and door on the left?
Hello T, I suspect so and yes, I do want that old trace to be removed together with the old cupboards and make the kitchen bigger.
The dividing wall will stay, on the other side we have the old dinning room which is now kids' bedroom where you can see in the picture below the main chimney breast (now boarded).
The dirty flue with the liner climbs a bit and then goes across in the chimney breast in the adjacent room.
On the other side of the door on the left we have a small toilet - I suspect it used to be a coal room a long time ago, there is no chimney remains there.
Dining Room.jpg

Ground floor.jpg

Sponsored Links
Lets say you took the pic on post #1 from the 3.8m position in the plan view?
Is the blocked off c/breast pic showing the living room c/breast?
Can you post a pic showing the kitchen view of the old fireplace?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back