Removing chimney

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a chimney on my Victorian terraced house which goes down through the attic, back bedroom and down to the kitchen (obviously!!!) anyway, there are no fires in place and i would like to remove the chimney to make the space in the rooms bigger and more practical. Would it make more sense to remove the whole thing because i guess If I just take it out of the kitchen it will need some kind of RSJ? Is it a huge expensive job to remove the whole thing? What kind of price would i be looking at? Would it be a problem for the floors/ceilings?

Thanks for any help.

Sammy

Sponsored Links
Before you do anything, you will need see a structure surveyor who will advise you what to do.

masona said:
Before you do anything, you will need see a structure surveyor who will advise you what to do.

Just reread my post, sorry I shouldn't have asked about cost, I didn't mean it to sound as if I was going to do it myself..... god forbid, but are you saying you wouldn't rely on a builder to tell me what was ok and what wasn't or is it a requirement to get a structural surveyor in for this sort of thing in case the house falls down? gulp

Yes, I wouldn't rely on any builders because if you're doing internal structural alterations or removal of chimney breasts will require Building Regulations approval anyway. Best to give your local planning a ring and see what they say. I've seen many chimney breasts removal and badly damaged property because some builders know it all !!!!

Sponsored Links
I had a customer (who has now changed to gas) and was getting the chimney removed, so I asked what he was going to do with the boiler flue (as it went up the chimney). "The builder never mentioned that".

Alway a bad move in my opinion to remove chimneys. I get lots of calls from people with broken down central heating, the ones with chimneys just need to light a fire, those without get cold (and sometimes the heating is off because there's no electricity, so electric heaters won't help).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back