removing cold water header tank - options?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi;

I'm buying my first house (about twenty years old) and the water/heating system consists of:
1) cold water tank in loft (3rd floor)
2) hot water cylinder (1st floor)
3) boiler in garage feeding central heating (radiators with TRVs)

I've been told by the surveyor that the cold water tank isn't fitted correctly - it's just resting on a joist and is causing the ceiling to sag slightly - and there are also a lot of unsightly pipes going up through the open plan kitchens wortop to get to the header tank (5 in total). I'm replacing the kitchen so it would be nice to get rid of those pipes.

I was wondering if there is any possibility to remove the tank completely - other than going for a complete combi boiler system? I'm sure I've seen pictures of hot water cylinders that look like they have the header tank built in. What are my options, and their associated costs?

Thanks in advance for all help offered :)

James

Sponsored Links
As far as I know, if you want to get rid of the header tank, you need to go fully pumped / pressurised system for your Ch & hw.

As regards the hot water to the taps, this is fed from a seperate cold water tank and the option here is mains fed - look at Thermal Stores / unvented cylinders.

You would need to ensure that your mains supply is adequate pressure wise & flow rates.

Alternatively - combi boiler.

You could use a combination cylinder to enable you to get shut of the CWSC. Perhaps the guys can help with the pressure implications but I would think it would be reduced. Also these have a reduced capacity for hot water.

Personally I would change all your cold feeds to direct mains and have a combi. If you have a small family it would be ideal. :D

You will have to get your hand in your pocket whatever you choose. :(

Sponsored Links
So how much money should I be budgeting for in order to get a Combi installed, and what is the extent of the work? The radiators at the moment are fitted with british gas TRVs. Am I likely to need to renew all the plumbing in the house at the same time?

regards

james

Local Corgis in my area are doing complete systems starting from £2000.
Get a few quotes but you should be able to get it all done and have a decent boiler with change out of £3k.

All this expense just to get rid of a water tank. :LOL:
You must be very affluent. ;)

...well i think the GF is going to put the reality check on me :) probably end up putting in a false wall or some other disaster to hide the pipes... :(

I'm buying my first house (about twenty years old) and the water/heating system consists of:
1) cold water tank in loft (3rd floor)

All this expense just to get rid of a water tank.
You must be very affluent.

First house with three floors!Must be very very affluent!!!

Surveyors are numpties, you've gone mad on spending because of one worthless surveyor.

The number of pipes in your kitchen will alter very little, as long as there are any you have a problem, not much difference between 5 and 3 or 4, even a combi has pipework, unvented hot water system has plenty of pipework, welcome to home ownership, paint them in the colour of the wall or box them in. Don't use them as an excuse to have a combi.

Don't buy a combi cylinder, the hot water will dribble out of any taps on the same floor level.

Consider having the tanks in the loft refitted/renewed correctly.

OF course if you want the space your airing cupboard ocupies, you have some clever way of storing linen and drying clothes that my wife doesn't know of, and don't mind renewing your boiler every 10 to 15 years after paying a few hundred here and there on repairs to it, and your family only plans to use one hot outlet at a time, by all means have a combi fitted. BUT please take my advise and buy the best you can afford, if you are only considering a budget one, don't get a combi at all.

Take the advice or leave it.

Thanks guys - I'm going to box the pipes and put some ply under the tank.

I'm pretty peeved about the "homebuyers report" survey - the guy did it over two weeks ago and still hasn't managed to get a written report out to me - yet the valuation report to the mortgage co. was done the same day, by the same surveyor.

What do you think my chances are of getting a refund off this?

Regards
J

r r r r r r r r r efund ggggggggggrrranville, MODERATERS PLEASE REMOVE THIS POST AS IT IS OFFENSIVE, HE MENTIONED THE R WORD :)

Ahhhhhhhh chalk, you will need a mask and a HSE check for dust in the workplace certificate and dust extraction equipment, be careful the blackboard is not too high as you may need scaffolding to reach the top before using said chalk, of course if you have the box of chalk and rubber on the scaffold you will need kick boards and a catch net, better to use a biro as long as you have a certificate for carrying a carciogenic material in a reseptacle on your said person, of course if you write down on paper with the biro and then decide to scrap it later you will need a waste disposal/carriers licence, mmmmmmmm, might be better to just move to another house or another country :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back