Removing Cold Water Tank - balanced with Neighbour

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I live in a terraced house and as my water tank is leaking I am planning on removing it. The issue is that there are two RSJ's going through my wall to my neighbour and their water tank is sat on the same RSJ.

My fear is that if I drain the water tank, the RSJ's will tip and their water tank will fall/fail. I am happy to leave the equivalent weight to half a tank of water of sand on the RSJ's to keep the balance but am still concerned about the risk to my neighbour.

I have spoken to them about it, but they seem unconcerned/un-interested despite my emphasising the risk. I am half tempted to ask whether I can put in place a load of 2x4 under the RSJ's in their house, but am unsure if I am opening myself up to legal liability of they do not work or if something is damaged.

Has anyone got any experience of this and what the best route forward is?

Thanks,

Jon

Sponsored Links
I live in a terraced house and as my water tank is leaking I am planning on removing it. The issue is that there are two RSJ's going through my wall to my neighbour and their water tank is sat on the same RSJ.

My fear is that if I drain the water tank, the RSJ's will tip and their water tank will fall/fail. I am happy to leave the equivalent weight to half a tank of water of sand on the RSJ's to keep the balance but am still concerned about the risk to my neighbour.
What you describe makes it sound as if the RSJ was a see-saw balanced on the wall between the two houses with a tank at each end! The RSJs must be securely fixed at both ends, so I can't see how your scenario would ever occur.

I haven't had that, but I once had a terraced house where the butler sinks stood, back to back, on the same pieces of angle iron in the party wall.

My neighbour removed his sink and pulled out the irons, the people next door to him shouted that their sink was falling down.

Sponsored Links

What you describe makes it sound as if the RSJ was a see-saw balanced on the wall between the two houses with a tank at each end! The RSJs must be securely fixed at both ends, so I can't see how your scenario would ever occur.

When you say that they must be fixed at both ends. I know that the RSJ's are only supported in the centre by the walls of the house. Looking underneath the RSJ there is nothing there supporting it. Maybe the feeling is that the wall itself is strong enough to support it, but water tanks are fairly heavy and with that kind of leverage it does leave me a little concerned.

isn't it standing on the roof timbers?

how far do these steels project from the surface of the wall, and what is the size of the tank?

isn't it standing on the roof timbers?

how far do these steels project from the surface of the wall, and what is the size of the tank?

The tank does not stand on the roof timbers, the RSJ's come directly out of the wall adjoining my neighbour and sit about 2 ft above the roof joists. The RSJ themselves come out by about 1 meter.

The tank itself is a rectangular tank which probably holds around 50-70 gallons of water. Old floor boards seem to be lined up across the two RSJ's to give the tank some extra support. These are clearly not working as the tank is becoming deformed.

Jon

a gallows bracket is often used. In your case it would need to be upside down.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back