Removing cork tile adhesive from ceramic tiled floor - HELP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had a tenant in my house stick cork tiles down over a newly tiled ceramic floor!!
Some of the them have since been removed but all the glue is left behind, what is the best way to remove the glue and get the tiles looking good again?

Sponsored Links
Oh the joy`s of being a big bad landlord.........

tennants are little darlings hey :eek:

It really depends on what adhesive they used - are you still in communication with them or are they now "under the patio"?

maybe they could tell you what adhesive they used, if so contact the manufacturer and seek advise on suitable solvents

I seem to remember at least two types of adhesive - one was a permanantly flexible rubber based which may be removeable

...the offer was a hard "liquid nails" type that I doubt you will remove

...I hope you are holding on to a large security deposit because this may be an expensive do!!!!!!

no not in touch with them as had to get them evicted for non payment of rent as well so they haven't left me a forwarding address! So no have no security deposit either.

This is only one of the list of jobs I've been left with to deal with.

Is there something I could try to use before chiselling the tiles off and starting again

Sponsored Links
Oh Dear.......

Not really an expert in cork tiles - they tend to be a DIY product

The only suggestion would be to suss out what DIY stores you have close to the property, then pop in and see what adhesives they sell.
Read the instructions and see if it tells you the "magic" answeror gives a helpline number you can ring

As I said in my original response there may be several different formulations and that assumes they used a cork tile adhesive and not just any old glue...

sorry I cannot be more helpful, but you really need to identify exactly what adhesive was used which is an almost impossible task....

I wish you the very best of luck - maybe another poster can be more helpful

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back