Removing cover on inspection chamber in block paved drive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a blocked drain. There is a rectangular inspection chamber cover (Peter Savage) in the block paving which I need to lift to clear the blockage. The cover is the tray type filled with blocks. It looks like galvanised steel and has probably not been lifted since installation seventeen years ago. Despite removing the blocks to reduce the weight and clearing the gap between frame and tray as far as possible the tray refuses to move. I am now considering removing the whole frame to get at the blockage.
Anyone felt the same frustration or found a better solution?

Sponsored Links
Many times!!!

Does it have the pop up plastic handles or key hole in the corners?

If it's still stuck there must be still some sand between the lid and frame. It could be 70mm deep so try a pad saw down the gap, they are quite good for getting the sand out, otherwise it's a couple of strong flat screwdrivers wirking their way round as levers.

When you reuse or replace he current cover, remove all he sand and then paste Vaseline petroleum jelly around the tray and frame. No problems, apart from weight, lifting in future. This Worked for me

Mutley56

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back