Removing Danish oil stains?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help with this?

I have an oak kitchen work top which I recently retreated with several coats of Danish oil - the work top looks great.

However like an idiot I didn't put masking tape around the work top where the cupboards meet it and now I have some brush marks of Danish oil at the base of the cupboards.

They are the shiny white style cupboards - from Magnet if that's relevant - and so the stains stand out a bit.

So my question is are there any ways of removing Danish oil stains without damaging underneath.

I haven't tried white spirit as I am concerned that any solvent based cleaner may damage the 'shininess' of the cupboards - but I would welcome any advice.

Sponsored Links
I would have thought any spirit based cleaner or even just plain spirit ( turps etc) should remove an oil based substance without damaging your cupboards surface. I would be pretty dammed annoyed if it did & they were mine. I would not consider them serviceable nor fit for purpose. But just in case can you not try a small area inside a door or somewhere else it can't be seen.

be quick, because the oil oxides to become sticky, then gummy, then varnish. It is very tiresome to try to remove oxidised oil.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back