Removing dated stone fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Would like to remove this old stone fireplace and replace with something modern. It looks really well built!
lounge fireplace.jpg
Its going to be dusty obviously, the fireplace is not load bearing, actual stack is on the outside of the property, good idea to tackle it with a SDS drill, chisel attachment or just hand tools? Will it get easier the more I remove from the wall? Any ideas and knowledge gratefully received thanks.

Sponsored Links
is the wall around it plasterboard? if so I would check to see if the fireplace surround is attached to the gable wall or if it is a totally separate entity by cutting (or bashing)the plaster around the surround, I mean it will need patchwork anyway.

Also, the Hearth will probably be a c*** to remove. I've seen the hearth built with its own 4 inch concrete foundations

No the wall is all brick to the side and above the fire place, this property is about 45 years old, I want to make the hearth more narrow though by taking out a couple of the floor slabs either end because at the moment its just too wide, (2.6m), after taking it out I'd like to rebuild with red brick with an opening just for a electric fire, there is a capped off gas pipe to sticking out from the hearth tile in the centre just to make things tricky. As said it looks well built, I suppose if I took off the wood mantle and chipped down from there do you think that's a good start? I have contacted two builders but they are either too busy or the job maybes not big enough that's why I keep looking at it and thinking I could tackle it, the hard bit, and get someone in to plaster up after. Thanks for your reply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back