tools for removing brick fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning,

I have started to remove a nasty 1970s brick fireplace, very solidly built and goes back a long way.
I thought I was doing ok with a hammer and cold chisel, but haven't actually made much impression. An SDS drill with a chisel bit doesn't achieve much.
Could an expert tell me please whether an electric demolition jackhammer would be the thing to use - noting that I would be using it horizontally and not like a road mender in the vertical position. Is it possible to apply enough pressure horizontally to be effective ? - for someone fairly slenderly built.
Would you recommend a minimum power - 1500 W ? 3600 W ? etc.
Recommendations ?

Thankyou.

Sponsored Links
Be careful in brick if its soft or you will bury the bit and get it stuck.

This happened to me so many times! My cheap SDS drill broke so no longer have that problem ... at least, not until I need to remove some more bricks.

See if there is any different technique on offer in the sales.

I can't imagine for one second that demo hammer is needed on a fireplace.

Sponsored Links
That Titan one is indeed good for the price but it vibrates a ridiculous amount and jumps all over the place. I used it to chisel through the bottom ofa solid wall for a soil pipe and that was an experience and a half. In other positions it's not so bad though.
Regarding the original query from @abinath e would need photos to advise on this

Loosen a brick at a time working along the courses top to bottom. Much easier than trying to smash the whole lot out by attacking it in random places

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back