Removal of bricks from fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I've removed a tiled area covering the fireplace. Plan being to tile it again lower to the floor. I have removed it all but discovered there are bricks higher than the floorboards. Is it safe to remove this first layer of bricks? If so what's the best way to get under them? An sds or gently chisel them? Pictures attached of before and after.
IMG_20220625_121311.jpg

IMG_20220625_152248.jpg

Sponsored Links
Also to note. The wood burner in the picture is being removed. The floor is suspended, so there's a good 4ft drop under the floorboards.

Can I remove a layer of bricks and build it back up with ply level with the floor? Then lay tile backer on top and tile?

Thanks for the reply. No stove will be there. There will be either nothing or a small electric for affect.

Sponsored Links
You can remove them. Chisel or crowbar in a joint and lever one up to then get to the others, or break that one with the holes first.

Thanks. All came out fairly easy. Some were loose and came out with a crowbar. Only one took some effort as always!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back