Can I remove this part of the fireplace?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
DSC_3233.JPG
DSC_3241.JPG
_20161019_182753.JPG
DSC_3236.JPG
Hi all, my fireplace is out of use since installing central heating last year. I've removed the large ugly multi fuel burner and tiled mantle and hearth. I've been deliberating what to do with it now.

Finally decided to hopefully remove the lower bricks which stick out (under the TV) then plaster where the bricks have been removed, in the recess etc, and add shelves for a neat functional space. Ideally I'd love to remove the lot but funds won't stretch.

So, it looks like the extra layer of waist height bricks are an add on judging by the line of the bricks just inside the opening. But what about the horizontal concrete layer, is it just finishing, is it holding something up? I'll obviously need to remove some/all of it as it sticks out level with the bricks I want to remove. Is this all a very bad idea? Any thoughts would be appreciated
_20161019_182722.JPG

Sponsored Links
"the horizontal concrete layer"

is a lintel and it's holding the chimney breast up

"the horizontal concrete layer"

is a lintel and it's holding the chimney breast up
Ah, best not to remove then . Back to the drawing board re the ugly fireplace. Thanks for your help.

Its no big deal to remove & re-position a lintel, and open up the brickwork of the chimney breast but it would cost say £600 to £800. But perhaps cheaper in your area?
You might have a flue liner that would need removing, and the flue walls to be cleaned and swept.
A little work could be needed on the roof at the chimney stack.
And finally all the plastering to be made good ready for decorations and shelving.

Often people install lights and digital equipment inside the new opening.

Sponsored Links
Thanks vinn, I'd just like to remove those outer bricks really to make a flush and slightly less intrusive fireplace. I can plaster and make good so that'd be a saving. I may look into repositioning the lintel but I have have a feeling that building regs red tape would hinder the process enough to put me off.

It wouldn't be necessary to worry the Blg Regs people for opening the chimney breast up & re-positioning the lintel.

Your lintel could be more of a slab than a conventional lintel so it might be possible to "slice off" (with an angle grinder) the projecting bricks, and the projecting front of the lintel. This would leave you with about 14" depth to the back wall.

The boxing in on either side of the chimney breast would also have to be taken back or removed.

I'd suggest having a look on google at some of the inventive and tasteful insertions of fittings and lighting in c/breast openings.

until you decide. you want to pop some insulation in a bin bag and stuff the flue hole during the winter otherwise the air rate of change in the room will be about an hour or less. i.e. you'd be centrally heating outside.

[
Finally decided to hopefully remove the lower bricks which stick out (under the TV)

So, it looks like the extra layer of waist height bricks are an add on judging by the line of the bricks just inside the opening. ]
I think they aren't added but part of the original construction - could you tap the sides under the wallpaper ? I have a feeling that is brickwork too, and the way the fireplace is built bigger @ the bottom is an original feature.

If it was me, I'd render it as is, paint it and put a nice modern log burner in and keep it.

I love my stove's they create so much heat.

They are fine if you don't mind the mess that goes with them = likewise the mess that would be created knocking the fireplace about.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back