Removing debris from downpipe and drains set in concrete

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've got a (2 year old) UPVC downpipe leaking from the swan at the top. A roofer just told me he is convinced that the downpipe is full to the brim with moss and other debris, and when pushing the downpipe it feels very heavy, so I think he might be right.
The issue now is how about cleaning it out. The roofer said he doesn't work underground, and thinks that a proper job would need to break up the concrete at least around the underground (under-concrete) elbow . Are their any alternatives that might work?
I believe the downpipe is connected to a run of plastic drain pipe that runs with at least two 90 degree bends to the soil stack underneath the lounge which has new laminate flooring down (I saw this drain pipe when I layed the flooring 6month ago...). The only thing I can think of is a drain auger or chemical pipe unblockers.

Sponsored Links
Actually, this just got sorted. We were able to remove the downpipe and then push down drain augers and a (mains-pressured) hose pipe. At least partially unblocked now.

For future issues I would suggest installing a trap section into the bottom of the downpipe.

Sponsored Links
to unblock pipes dont ever on anythin use chemicals - just dont.
down pipes typicly discharge into gulleys.

your description of where the rain water pipe flows is a puzzle - are you sayin that it returns under the house - to a soil stack under the lounge?

It runs through the lounge towards and presumably into the soil stack on the far side of the kitchen, and with very little drop.

For future issues I would suggest installing a trap section into the bottom of the downpipe.

Can you please explain how that works & what sort of trap is needed?

I have a downpipe that feeds into a partially pipe leading to a soak-away. Lots & lots of leaves here (and some moss) so this downpipe clogs with debris at the bottom and in heavy rain the downpipe fills with water and the gutter overflows.

When I took the downpipe off the other day there was c. 5 inches of muck in the bottom. So a trap to catch all of that sounds like a good idea. However the only traps for rainwater, etc, that I am aware of are this sort of thing, and they are to prevent sewer gas getting back not to catch debris.

Can you please explain how that works & what sort of trap is needed?

I have a downpipe that feeds into a partially pipe leading to a soak-away. Lots & lots of leaves here (and some moss) so this downpipe clogs with debris at the bottom and in heavy rain the downpipe fills with water and the gutter overflows.

When I took the downpipe off the other day there was c. 5 inches of muck in the bottom. So a trap to catch all of that sounds like a good idea. However the only traps for rainwater, etc, that I am aware of are this sort of thing, and they are to prevent sewer gas getting back not to catch debris.

I can't find a link to the exact one that I use but something along the line of this ( https://www.guttersupplies.co.uk/products/black-half-round-gutter/68mm-access-pipe/black/ )

If you have a local plumbers merchant or plastic supplier they will have something similar.

Google downpipe leaf/debris gulley

Thanks very much, I had not seen that sort of thing before.

I don't think I can fit one of those now as it involves changing the connection to the soak-away feed. We need to re-do the soak-away (or at least that feed pipe), but that will be a while as the soak-away is too near the house for modern regs, and to make it comply it will need to go under the front yard, which is currently tarmac which needs replacing. But the whole front yard layout needs changing.

I can't find a link to the exact one that I use but something along the line of this

Thanks for that. I got confused at first as that looks like it is just a hole in the pipe! Looking at other examples I see that there is a cover on the front but this picture shows it with the cover removed.

You originally referred to a trap but this looks like it just gives access to enable muck to be removed. Is that right?

I had a look online and found this
https://www.freeflush.co.uk/collect...ing-filter-leaf-separator?variant=29003795777
which is supposed to catch leaves, etc, and keep them out of the water.

What about a water butt with mesh shelf half way down and an outlet (always open) running back into the drain?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back