Removing double glazed unit to get sofa in - job for a pro?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm just after a bit of advice please. In order to fit our sofa in, we are definitely going to need to take out the main double glazed unit in the front room. I've included some picutres of the inside and outside view and a couple of close ups. I believe to remove it, i would need to scrape the putty from the outside and remove whatever fixings are in place underneath and the unit should in theory then come out. What I'm wondering is what would be the likely cost of getting a pro to remove it and put it back in when the sofas are in (would only be talking an hour or two as the sofas are ready to be picked up whenever)? One of the smaller double glazed units above the main window also needs replacing so I could ask the glazier to do that if I was getting one in, and also replace a small 4" x 6" window in the fornt door.

Anyone any ideas as to what this might cost me if I don't so it myself? Just don't want to give it a go an end up causing more damage!

Thanks,
Rob

Sponsored Links
it would be easier to remove 2 or 3 door frame

i suspect a less than 50% chance getting the the the glass out in one piece dependant on what was used
ask for a quote for new glass before you start

Sponsored Links
You'll be very luck to remove that dgu without breaking it, if you don't break it while hacking the putty out you certainly will when trying to ease the glass out, remember its bedded on putty and the putty would of moulded itself around the contours of the dgu, i doub't you'll find anyone to remove it for you if you're expecting them not to break it so its either measure for a new dgu to replace the one that your bound to break or as MW says use the oppurtunity to put a pvc window in, yes a bit more cost wise but better in the long run.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back