Removing Electric Shower - Making Safe Cables

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

My parents had a combi boiler fitted last year and I have just changed their shower from electric to a mixer from the combi.

The shower switch is on the wall outside the bathroom. My plan was to leave the MCB switched off at the board, terminate the supply cable in connector block at the switch and fit a blank plate to cover.

Is this sufficient or is it better practice to disconnect the neutral and earth at the board also?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
If disconnecting the live from the MCB, also disconnect the N and E. (Best would be to join all conductors together, mark as 'spare' and link to a spare E terminal, this means that the unused cable is earthed and will test as such, and if made inadvertently live will trip the protective device).

If leaving the live, then leave the N and E in place. This is to maintain correspondence between the MCB circuits and the cables on the N and E terminal bars.

The main thing is to ensure the cable from the switch to the bathroom cannot become live.

Makes sense. Cheers.

Out of interest what would you do? The N and E are easily identifiable in the CU (had a quick look) so wouldn't be too difficult to remove all three cables and terminate to spare earth as you suggested

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back