Removed Electric shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

In the process of doing up the bathroom in my house. There was an electric shower however I got a plumber to put a mixer on the bath instead as I have a combi-boiler, I had a head of steam on and went ahead, switched off the electrics removed the electric shower and shower pully switch and put the end of the shower cable in a junction box and out of harms way in case I wanted to install an electric shower again in the future.

Only after this was done did it occur to me that this probably wasn't covered under building regs in the New rules for electrical safety in the home, I know you can change like for like fittings such as light fittings in any room but where do I stand with what I've done above, that must count as an alteration to an existing circuit and so will I be able to get an electrician in to certify it?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
OK, been looking into this further and found Document P: Electrical safety - dwellings (2006 edition), page 9 (General Guidance) paragraph M

"The fitting and replacement of cookers and electric showers is not notifiable unless a new circuit is needed."

Considering the only change is the circuit is not being used anymore can I assume this is alright. Any thoughts on this are welcome

I can't see how ripping out a shower and termining the cable in a joint box could ever be notfiable, so you're ok on that count :)

Of course the technical requirement P1 still stands, but unless you have done something daft like having the joint box in the shower cubicle or leaving unsheathed cores showing outside of the JB then you cant go too far wrong, and if you have, then perhaps you should throw your tools in the dustbin and give up :LOL:

Of course the technical requirement P1 still stands, but unless you have done something daft like having the joint box in the shower cubicle or leaving unsheathed cores showing outside of the JB
Or leaving a cable concealed in a wall or partition which no longer complies with the Wiring Regulations because the zones created by the shower and the switch no longer exist......

if you have, then perhaps you should throw your tools in the dustbin and give up :LOL:
Israfel - what did you do with the cable?

Sponsored Links
Of course the technical requirement P1 still stands, but unless you have done something daft like having the joint box in the shower cubicle or leaving unsheathed cores showing outside of the JB
Or leaving a cable concealed in a wall or partition which no longer complies with the Wiring Regulations because the zones created by the shower and the switch no longer exist......

if you have, then perhaps you should throw your tools in the dustbin and give up :LOL:
Israfel - what did you do with the cable?

Hi both, thanks for your replies, the cable came in through the ceiling, currently there isn't a ceiling on the bathroom as I'm about to put new plasterboard up and re-plaster. I had intended on leaving the cable in the ceiling cavity (On the other side of the room) once the new plasterboard was up with a view to it being accessible if I wanted to put a new shower in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back