Removing Electric Shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I want to remove my electric shower and replace it with a new mixer shower, whats the best way of disconneting the old one

Regards :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Isolate the CU, remove the fuse for the shower power circuit, cut out or remove the cable at the CU.

Then refit the CU and supply a blanking cover for the absent fuse.

Turn on the CU, test the shower cable at the shower end- providing in is dead, remove the pull cord switch, take out the shower box and remove the cable.

Not a job for someone who isn't familar with CU work and electrics in general.

There's a much easier, and equally safe, way of removing your shower so that the new one can be installed.

1. Isolate all power at CU.
2. Remove fuse or turn off MCB for shower circuit.
3. Test that cable is dead at shower pull cord switch.
4. Disconnect and remove segment of cable from switch to shower.
5. Switch CU isolator back on again.
6. Phone electrician and book a time for him to call to remove entire circuit.
7. In the meantime, remove old shower, plumb in new one, get naked, wash yourself, etc..

Sponsored Links
its not uncommon to stop at step 5 of the above, that way the circuit is there if anyone decideds to put one back in, only down side is the redundant switch.

edit (and the smell if you dont do step 7)

Softus said:
7. In the meantime, remove old shower, plumb in new one, get naked, wash yourself, etc..

I would get naked first.... ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back