Removing an electric shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have an old electric shower in my bathroom and wish to revert back to a mixer tap. How would I go about removing the electrics for this. Is it just a case of going in the loft and removing the link to the spur or would there be a direct connection to the consumer unit - in which case do I disconnect it here?

Thanks. :)[/b]

Sponsored Links
If it's an electric shower eg 7kw or whatever then there should be a pull-chord switch in the bathroom or a large 45Amp switch outside maybe?
Either way there will be a dedicated circuit for it at the consumer unit and you should remove the cables iether at the consumer unit or if you are not too confident to do this (means opening up the unit with live cables inside) then disconnect the cables from the LOAD side of the pull-chord / 45A switch.

If it's an 'electric' power shower, then these are usually supplied via a spur switch, disconnect from there!

Thanks for the quick response. it is not a power shower. it is an 8.5kw electric shower. So, if i disconnect from the LOAD side of the pull chord switch and remove the switch and shower, what do i do witht the cable that is left (the one that links up to the CU as surely it will be live? Thanks.

as you guessed the cable will still be live.

you have two choices

leave the switch there, or turn off the mcb or remove the fuse that the shower is fed from then you can remove the cable. if you do this you must take the cable out from the consumers unit too.

I would be inclined to leave the switch there, you never know

Sponsored Links
OK - I think I'll switch it off at the fuse box (has it's own dedicated switch), remove the fuse and just place the switch box in the loft above where it is (still connected) in case I ever want to re-install one. Sounds OK to me. What do you think? I think I have the angles covered. Thanks for your help.

to "be sure" put the fuse in a safe place and put a note on the switch saying who what where and why, even in a year or so you may forget what it is for, or some one may go "what does this do..............."

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back