fitting electric shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am having an electric shower fitted shortly.It is a new installation(previous shower was mixer ,not electric).It will have its own fuse etc. fitted external to the consumer unit.
How are the connections made to the consumer unit,cable size,physical connection etc.?
The shower will be fitted by an electrician,but would like to know the correct procedure.

Sponsored Links
electric said:
How are the connections made to the consumer unit,
Screws.

cable size,
Depends on rating of shower, rating of protective device, length of cable, method of cable installation and any derating factors.

physical connection etc.?
Screws.

The shower will be fitted by an electrician,but would like to know the correct procedure.
Why? Don't you trust him to be able to do it properly?

ban-all-sheds said:
Why? Don't you trust him to be able to do it properly?

if he's anything like my ex electrician, watch him like a hawk. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
It should be protected by an RCD not a fuse and do not forget that bathrooms are covered by Part P so if your sparky is not Part P registered you will have to have it tested by someone who is.

rhino36 said:
It should be protected by an RCD not a fuse

I think what you mean is that its good practice to protect it with an RCD as well as an over current device (it doesn't matter whether its a fuse or an MCB), or you can use an RCBO which combines both functions in one device

Just clearing that up, because people have been known to install showers with just an RCD and no over current protection

and do not forget that bathrooms are covered by Part P so if your sparky is not Part P registered you will have to have it tested by someone who is.

Not really true, you have to notify building control, and they can have whoever they want to inspect the work (at their expense) - well thats the way its meant to work anyway...

Sorry Adam yes that was the info i was trying to impart, as for Building Control if someone is Part P compliant they are allowed to self certificate and Building Control are given a copy for their records.

rhino36 said:
do not forget that bathrooms are covered by Part P so if your sparky is not Part P registered you will have to have it tested by someone who is.
Not accurate. Part P of the Building Regulations "covers" all work on low voltage or extra-low voltage fixed electrical cables or fixed electrical equipment located on the consumer's side of the electricity supply meter in dwellings. In England and Wales.

Adam_151 said:
Not really true, you have to notify building control, and they can have whoever they want to inspect the work (at their expense) - well thats the way its meant to work anyway...
Indeed, in England and Wales.

rhino36 said:
Sorry Adam yes that was the info i was trying to impart, as for Building Control if someone is Part P compliant they are allowed to self certificate and Building Control are given a copy for their records.
Indeed, in England and Wales.

electric

ie.gif

As i can see Sheds you are well aware of Part P, just trying to keep it simple, we could talk about Part P all night.

Err... the point I'm trying to make is that you and Adam are telling him about what that the law requires in this country.

How does telling a foreigner about laws which do not apply to him make things simple?

True Ban, apparently Ireland are waiting to see how well it works here before they implement it over there.
We are the Guinea Pigs????

Phew...........and i taught i was just having an electric shower fitted. :confused:

Me sorry too Ban, i must stop replying to things this early in the morning, your humble servant :cry:

That's OK - you owe me free access to the webcam in Claudia Schiffer's bathroom for one year, and two illegal acts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back