New Electric Shower Supply Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm thinking of having an electric shower installed (currently a mixer off HW tank). I will be getting a qualified electrician in to do the wiring, but wanted to estimate costs first.

My question is this:
The consumer unit has space for just 4 fuses, all of which are in use: "Ring Main, "Lighting", "Cooker" and "Bell".

There is no space to add another for the shower, so will I need to have a new consumer unit fitted?

Also, is it acceptable under current regulations for me to create the wiring channel in the plaster from the shower area to the unit and run a wire (but not connect it) to save some of the cost?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
The consumer unit has space for just 4 fuses, all of which are in use: "Ring Main, "Lighting", "Cooker" and "Bell".

There is no space to add another for the shower, so will I need to have a new consumer unit fitted?
Yes.

Also, is it acceptable under current regulations for me to create the wiring channel in the plaster from the shower area to the unit and run a wire (but not connect it) to save some of the cost?
Yes, as long as the electrician who certifies the installation has seen all of the cable.

Also, you need to either notify your LABC or engage an electrician who is registered to self-certify in accordance with Bulding Regulations Part P.

Yes.

Not quite that clear cut. IF your CU has a 100A main switch & RCD protection, then you could rearrange the circuits so that the bell was fed off a spur from the ring final, and the shower fed from the way closest to the main switch.

But otherwise I concur with Softus.

Quite right - it's not clear cut. I was just playing the probability card - given so few CU ways, the chance of this installation being load-capable and up to scratch on bonding and EFLI, and not having rewireable fuses etc., is small (IMHO).

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys.

One more question in that case, how much (roughly) will these extra items cost?

Thanks.

how much (roughly) will these extra items cost?
I don't know why you aren't asking the qualified electrician that you said you will be engaging, but if you really want to ignore the written point of etiquette discouraging the asking of prices, then the answer is that they would cost you one million pounds.

Thanks for the really sarky response.

I will be asking the qualified electrician, I was merely asking a question to ascertain a ball park figure before I get 2 or 3 people in for quotes.

i.e. if it's going to cost me an extra £100 then it may not be worth my time, etc.

Where is this written point of etiquette you refer to then? It isn't in the holy rules page.

Thanks for the really sarky response.
At no point was I being sarcastic. You, on the other hand, have managed it in the same sentence as your false accusation.

I will be asking the qualified electrician, I was merely asking a question to ascertain a ball park figure before I get 2 or 3 people in for quotes.
As I said, the ball park figure is one million pounds. This includes VAT, and disposal of all waste.

i.e. if it's going to cost me an extra £100 then it may not be worth my time, etc.
If you think that an electrician is going to install and test a new consumer unit, with circuit breakers, and a new shower circuit, and bring your earthing up to current standards, and certify your installation, and report completion of the work to LABC, and charge you less than £100, then you have a very odd idea of what things cost.

Where is this written point of etiquette you refer to then?
On the rules page.

It isn't in the holy rules page.
WTF?

At no point was I being sarcastic.
So, you're honestly saying quoting a ball park figure of a million pounds is not sarcastic? I think it was.

If you think that an electrician is going to install and test a new consumer unit, with circuit breakers, and a new shower circuit, and bring your earthing up to current standards, and certify your installation, and report completion of the work to LABC, and charge you less than £100, then you have a very odd idea of what things cost.

My whole point of ASKING THE QUESTIONS WAS BECAUSE I AM NOT A QUALIFIED ELECTRICIAN WHO KNOWS WHAT IT MAY COST, AND NOT AS YOU STATE, THAT I HAVE A VERY ODD IDEA!!!

It would have been a lot more decent of you to post something like "well a rough figure would be £300-£500 (n.b. if that's what it is) but don't quote me on that, your electrician will give an exact price".

but if you really want to ignore the written point of etiquette discouraging the asking of prices

That is not what it says in the rules. It says:
Job Pricing. Please do not rely on prices given. You should get quotes from tradespeople that have been recommended to you.

It does not say do not ask, and it does not say we advise you not to ask. It simply says don't rely on the prices given.

Thus, I was asking roughly what this sort of work costs, to ascertain whether it is worth taking up my and their time to find out, when I was hoping someone on here would be kind enough to offer a sensible answer, enabling me to establish whether it was worth said time.

Clearly that person is not you.

At no point was I being sarcastic.
So, you're honestly saying quoting a ball park figure of a million pounds is not sarcastic?
I hope you're not suggesting that I ever write anything dishonest. :eek:

I think it was.
Really? So I suppose if I told you it was dramatic irony you might not agree?

My whole point of ASKING THE QUESTIONS WAS BECAUSE I AM NOT A QUALIFIED ELECTRICIAN WHO KNOWS WHAT IT MAY COST, AND NOT AS YOU STATE, THAT I HAVE A VERY ODD IDEA!
Well, it was odd from my point of view, bearing in mind the obvious expertise involved and the well-publicised price of copper cable at the moment, amongst other elements.

By way of comparison, I doubt that you could get a professional car mechanic to do much more than change the fluids in your car for as little as £100. Or that you could get your solicitor to do more than two hours of work. Or that you could buy a nice meal for four adults.

It would have been a lot more decent of you to post something like "well a rough figure would be £300-£500 (n.b. if that's what it is) but don't quote me on that, your electrician will give an exact price".
What, precisely, is the point in giving a price when the site advocates that you don't rely on any prices that you see?

And if the answer is "no point", then what point is there in asking?

...in the rules. It says:
Job Pricing. Please do not rely on prices given. You should get quotes from tradespeople that have been recommended to you.

It does not say do not ask, and it does not say we advise you not to ask. It simply says don't rely on the prices given.
And you don't regard that as discouragement? :eek:

Thus, I was asking roughly what this sort of work costs, to ascertain whether it is worth taking up my and their time to find out, when I was hoping someone on here would be kind enough to offer a sensible answer, enabling me to establish whether it was worth said time.
But it doesn't say in the rules that anyone has to be sensible. :D

And as far as being kind is concerned, sometimes you have to save people from themselves.

OK then, let's put the boot on the other foot - I hereby request your budget for the work.

Either disclose it, or sit there while people insinuate that you're being sarcastic, dishonest, unkind, indecent, not sensible, or perhaps just a hypocritical pratt.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back