removing floorboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I am trying to install a new towel radiator and as the cavity is too small hide the pipework for increasing the bore of the pipes from 8mm to 15mm to match the radiator valve and mount the valves from the wall, I have decided to pull up small sections of floorboards and do the pipework under the floor so the valves come up through the floor. What would be the easiest way so as not to damage the boards? The wall I am working with has a joist running parallel to it and the joists are spaced a foot apart.
Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
Could get yourself a floorboard lifter.

http://www.buybrandtools.com/acatalog/Ansell_Floor_Board_Lifter.html

Are the boards screwed or nailed?
Are they tongue and groove or flush?

If they are old boards, they might not be T&G, but if they are T&G you'll have to break the tongue using (eg) the lifter I have shown, or using a reciprocating saw, which I tend to use, as you can use it to cut the groove and cut across the boards if you don't need to lift a full length board.

If the boards have nails in them, and the nails pull up with the board, it is tempting to knock them back through, but this will split the wood. The best way to get the nails out is to pull them through, by getting some adjustable grips and pulling them through (at the pointed end), this will leave a hole, but it will be neat and won;t split the wood.

Be careful if you have to cut the tongue, because you may not know what under the board or how the pipes / power has been laid. Best to switch all power off and turn the water off at the mains to be on the safe side.

With traditional boards, I usually use a punch to hammer the nails through, then prise up the end of a board, and put a bar or similar under the board with the bar ends supported on the board either side. Then stand on the board to pop it out, moving the bar further along as I go.

Might be tempted to invest in one of these though

http://www.nailjack.com/sol.html

The best way to get the nails out is to pull them through, by getting some adjustable grips and pulling them through (at the pointed end), this will leave a hole, but it will be neat and won;t split the wood.

or a Priory Nail Puller.

Sponsored Links

Have you used one of those?

It does not look very strong for the solidly nailed London boards that I encounter.

Thast based on my practice of pulling the boards with the old tapered nails still in place to either come out or pull throught the board.

I usually use bolsters and wrecking bars.

Hammering through would be likely to damage the ceiling underneath.

Tony

the old tapered nails.

Hammering through would be likely to damage the ceiling underneath.

Cit nails/brads

as you say , be difficult to hammer a floor brad through the board. :eek: :mrgreen:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back