Removing gas cooker legalities.

Sponsored Links
This is totally illegal anmd rather unsafe! So be warned! I am NOT encouraging you to do this!

Many vacating tenants turn off the gas at the meter and then unscrew the connection from the wall end of the hose and then leave it OPEN! Thats very dangerous but many tenants still do it to save £65.

I cannot say that I agree with that attitude because its both dangerous and irresponsible. But if they did the same thing and fitted a plug then I could sympathise.

In this case its the FIRST time that I have ever heard of anyone in HA housing having their cooker connected free!

I am not frightened to say that many people who have always worked to pay their way in the world and rented or bought privately have a very negative attitude to people who live in social housing and in most cases live in far better housing than those who pay their way without any assistance!

When I see single mothers who have never worked, and never will, getting a nice flat and free income that makes me very sad when I compare them with those who work very hard for long hours on low wages and have to live in very poor quality privately rented housing.

I even met a 21 y.o. tenant in her own flat with her lovely mother visiting. The 21 y.o. was rubbish but the mother was nice. They were THREE generations of single mothers who had NEVER worked ( well not as employees ) in their life! They spent the day filing their nails and dressing "nicely" and whilst young going out to dance in clubs most evenings. The mother would cuddle me when I left but the daughter could not even thank me!

Tony

Tony you really are a Idiot, telling people how to do this using the wimpy ' but I don't reccommend it!' to try and cover your ass. Gimp. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Expertgasman, its like your second link but a right angled fitting as opposed the straight one shown.

Agile, sorry if I have mis-lead you or anyone else. It is not a HA property, its a private landlord one that is managed by a letting agency. Secondly, even after reading your 'comments' on how some people do it that way I wouldn't. If anything happened to the next resident/ a prospective tenant or even a burglar I couldn't live with myself.
Thirdly, whilst my daughter may be a single mother she has worked full time for about 90% of her time since leaving school at 16, she is now 27. Her main employment has been working for RBS so she is not like the people you describe in the least.
As a gesture of sensibility/regret may I ask that you edit your post to remove that passage in order not to let others read it and possibly act that way. (Horse/Stable/Bolt comes to mind but it may stop more from seeing it)

I know how to 'fiddle' electricity, and have been asked many times to do so but always refuse except for once. After doing a job for a guy one day he threatened not to pay me unless I 'dropped' his meter by fitting a 'black box' device he had. So, being young I felt threatened and fitted it. I showed him how his meter had slowed down so he paid me. Just as I was leaving after packing my tools away I said I would just check the connections. It was so easy to reverse the connections causing his meter to go twice as fast as it should have done. As he only had a mobile number for me he was unable to trace me. Justice was served but I would love to know if he ever got caught.

I have never advised anyone to remove their cooker hose and leave an open end. That is both illegal and dangerous.

Anyone who has worked on gas for a while will have seen it for themselves.

Now that most cookers are on bayonet fittings there is no need for that any more.

I few months ago I saw a meter that had been stolen and the pipes left uncapped.

Here is a bypassed gas meter!

If anything happened to the next resident/ a prospective tenant or even a burglar I couldn't live with myself.

burglar :eek: I would quite happily watch as they badly hurt themselves on sharp objects/open gas pipes/live cables, if they break into some ones house thet deserve all they get.

there are two types of bayonet/hoses available.

a large one that normally pushes in underneath(bayonet hose) and one called a micropoint with sounds like what youve got.

the hex nut is actually the micropoint fitting and on the end of the right angle attatched to the hose should either be a black plastic locator or brass locator this is what joins the two.

Push in,twist, then pull.

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/16488...ed-_-Plumbing-_-Micropoint Cooker Hose 1065mm

Thats probably what you have rather than :rolleyes:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/12279/Plumbing/Gas-Fittings/Bayonet-Cooker-Gas-Hose-1200mm

I have a large chip on both shoulders, so evenly balanced.

I do not have a problem with what PVM has to say. For goodness sake, look at his alias, if you do not get cheek and abuse from him, then you the complainer has been short changed. Our PVM is like a rattle snake, you hear the rattle when he is about. You hear the rattle so steer clear.

It is the snakes in the grass you should be wary of not PVM.

PVM, nice to see you have returned to the forum.

burglar :eek: I would quite happily watch as they badly hurt themselves on sharp objects/open gas pipes/live cables, if they break into some ones house thet deserve all they get.

Unfortunately (?) the law does not agree with you.

And the person 'breaking into' the house might be a firefighter or gas networks person trying to get in to turn off the main gas tap because the cooker bayonet was letting gas through before half the street goes up with a bang.

In West Brom someone was stealing a new boiler off the wall in an unoccupied house awaiting tenants.

Luckily there was a gas explosion and he was injured and unable to leave the scene!

http://www.birminghammail.net/news/...rglar-clue-to-house-explosion-97319-17981822/

I take the Moslem view that anyone stealing should have their right hand cut off. Its such a pleasure living in a Moslem country and not having to worry about anything being stolen.

Its totally contrary to human rights for anyone to steal.

Gentlemen may I apologise.
Been up there today in daylight and discovered it is a Micro-Point type, albeit slightly different to the ones shown in the links.
There is a small pin in the side which had to be depressed and then lined up at a certain point before the fitting would slightly spring away from the pipe. But it certainly looks a lot smaller than those shown.
Thanks for all your help/advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back