Should I fit it? bayonet valve

Agile there is nothing in the new reg relating to whether a property is rented out, only if it is multi occupancy dwelling does it need FSD.
i agree that the OP does not fit the cooker as it cannot be tested, but i would suggest that he advises customer to contact whoever blanked off the bayonet to get their arse back there with the bayonet and get it refitted pronto as they had no right to disconnect it and certainly no right to take it away, a bayonet is deemed as an acceptable point of disconnection (if fitted properly, so perhaps i'm jumping the gun slagging the guy) but if it was facing up he could have refitted it facing down and left it in, by writing a warning notice and advising customer that to reconnect the cooker is against the law he was covered, but i suppose if he had left it like that then the OP would have sold her the cooker then went and fitted it, damn now i'm contradicting my own rant about the guy!!!!!!!! no wonder we never know what to do for the best. but £108 to reconnect a cooker, now there is a rant worth having

Sponsored Links
Agile there is nothing in the new reg relating to whether a property is rented out, only if it is multi occupancy dwelling does it need FSD.

I assume you mean in addition to the flats requirement!

If you are correct, which I wonder, then thats a badly drafted regulation because the definition of multi occupancy varies between different councils!

However, the definition of multi occupancy is aimed at rented property as its not likely to have multi occupancy owner occupiers within most councils definitions.

I dont see that £108 is that high. We charge £72 including the cooker hose so its not a lot above what we charge.

In spite of what you think, all the HAs I come across do NOT provide a bayonet socket. Its up to the tenant to pay for it. We usually only charge £12 if fitting the cooker so its not a big deal.

I also think the RGI did the correct thing to cap off the supply to protect the tenant from reconnecting it. The nature of many tenants means they need to be more closely prevented from reconnecting the supply to a dangerous appliance.

Tony

I dont see that £108 is that high. We charge £72 including the cooker hose so its not a lot above what we charge.
£108 is exactly 50% higher than £72, which would seem like a big difference to a customer.

If you are correct, which I wonder, then thats a badly drafted regulation because the definition of multi occupancy varies between different councils!

TB 218 gives very good guidance on multi-occupancy dwellings. Particularly this bit: In general, any building comprising of more than one individual dwelling is multiple tenancy and/or multiple occupancy.

However, the definition of multi occupancy is aimed at rented property as its not likely to have multi occupancy owner occupiers within most councils definitions.

Admittedly I'm coming from a HA angle, but we certainly have buildings with flats that are mixed with rented and leasehold.

In spite of what you think, all the HAs I come across do NOT provide a bayonet socket. Its up to the tenant to pay for it. We usually only charge £12 if fitting the cooker so its not a big deal.

In the situation that OP described, if our engineer capped off where the bayonet should have been, then I would have them put the bayonet back at our charge, provided the RGI deemed it a safe situation. If there was never a bayonet connection, then I would expect the tenant to pay.

Nor would we pay to connect up the cooker. That would have to be off the tenant's own back. I have seen a few HAs offering cooker hook-up services to their tenants at the same rate that the HA would pay. I've done that for a few tenants and fully support this because we are less likely to have exactly what the OP is describing: a non-competent person fiddling about with gas.

Sponsored Links
TB 218 gives very good guidance on multi-occupancy dwellings. Particularly this bit: In general, any building comprising of more than one individual dwelling is multiple tenancy and/or multiple occupancy.

There ius something wrong! Thats a definition of a block or building devided into "flats".

Multi occupancy in terms of several legislations relates to the occupation of one "flat" within a building. The strictest defination is more than one family unit but most councils have a wider definition and would exclude a married couple with just one non related lodger. It would also exclude an african extended family!

In the case of the capped off bayonet, the gas was capped off to prevent the tenant from just reconnecting her faulty cooker. You would have to be very careful if you were to reinstate the bayonet to ensure that a safe appliance was going to be reconnected and the only practical way is to ensure the bayonet is only reinstated as part of CORGIjob of connecting a compliant cooker.

Tony

I would politely refuse. It's illegal unfortunately.....and as much as some would make light on here of the law and regs if anything goes wrong you could be criminally liable.....plus.....unless you/she has the manual for the cooker you won't get an RGI to fit it either....

just readint this post out of interest... why wouldn't a RGI fit it without the manual? I have had a corgi guy in twice (in the last 2 years or so) and he put a new solenoid in the gas valve in my boiler and a new hose connection on my cooker. I had the boiler manual and he looked at it but didn't need to worry about a manual for the cooker! was that bad then?? i am worried now.... even though the cooker if fine.

Manual thing is one of those regs that is over kill for certain stuff . In theory could fit hundreds of a certain appliance and be able to do it with eyes closed and perfectly and know everything about that appliance there is to know but corgi say manual is req .
You are worrying unnecessary so don`t panic tend to find cooker manuals don`t say much anyway

ok, thanks, i'll relax again now! i think i remember him saying a new bayonet connector and hose was needed, and it took him about 1/2 hour to do when he got the parts from the store or wherever he went off to.

are these gas cooker bayonet connectors and hoses of standard diameter then? as i think i even saw one in wickes a little while ago. not that i need one now! touch wood..... :eek:

Namsag.....whilst bowing to your many years of experience if i was asked to fit a second hand appliance without MI's i wouldn't (burner pressures, service requirements, seals to check etc etc)......unless of course i knew the appliance inside out......we can always get em off the internet or direct from manufacturer....it's just a ball ache to revisit tho so i always ask the customer before visiting.....saves wasted journeys

Yes bayonets for household use are standard size 1/2 inch thread with the hose either 3/8 as in micropoint or 1/2 in the old style.

powell

So by having burner pressures etc for a cooker do you gas rate every burner on it . I doubt it.
Seals are very easy to check there is a very easy way with a bit of card. A lot of visual checkin on secondhand cookers and making sure safety devices or oven stats have not been blanked off.
In the old days we used to fit 10 to 12 new cookers a day for weeks at a time so it did become second nature also we used to have to strip them right down to fix leaks in the days before transco

Fires boilers etc will have burner pressures on the data plate . Fires are the things you will need MI for with all the different coal bed layouts and yes i would ask for them as this old memory only stretches so far. Also modern boilers as opposed to the old work horses

Fires boilers etc will have burner pressures on the data plate . Fires are the things you will need MI for with all the different coal bed layouts and yes i would ask for them as this old memory only stretches so far. Also modern boilers as opposed to the old work horses

There are many more recent boilers like the non condensing Vaillant 824 and the Ravenheat ET84 for example which dont have the burner pressures on them which I find a pain!

I dont think any experienced person would have a problem with a simple gas cooker but gas fires are a minefield, quite apart from the coal layout the ventilation requirement cannot be guessed at without a lot of risk. Quite a lot of fires carry no data plate or even maker's name.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back