Removing Head Gear On My Mixer Tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My kitchen mixer tap is dripping and driving everyone in the house nuts. First problem is working out how to get into it. There's no H and C indicators covering screws, or anything obvious that I can see. Any suggestions?

Also, can anyone identify the make of this tap? It's very similar to one made by Abode but that's all I know. Also also, will it likely have rubber or ceramic washers?

Thanks for any help. Photo attached

Sponsored Links
If you haven't any grub screws round the first collar below the handle then the handles will just pull off.
The first collar is part of the handle so will seperate between the upper collar and shroud.

Thanks for the quick reply. So, in general, how hard do you need to pull to get them off? I'm guessing quite hard!

Sponsored Links
Just thought I'd follow up now that the job's done. The handles did indeed just pull off - or at least with a bit of persuasion from a screwdriver. The shroud actually screwed off as well. Maybe if I'd known that, screwing the shrouds off would possibly have forced off the handles.

Turns out it had those ceramic cartridge things not rubber washers. I bought a replacement pair from BandQ, but I have noticed something strange. When I removed the left hand tap (the hot one) it had a blue "washer" and so did the right hand one. I've installed the new ones, red left, blue right, and the taps behave strangely. The left opens clockwise and the right opens anti-clockwise. I'm guessing that these these cartridges are more designed for lever taps. That's probably why they perviously had blue on both left and right. Does that make sense?

Anyway, they work fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back