Removing header tank and running off mains

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Just in process of purchasing first flat, so not too much experience in these things.

I have a massive cupboard, in a tiny flat, that is half filled with a cold water tank - i was hoping to remove this and run off the mains then knock down the brick (but not supporting) wall to give a bit more space to the kitchen.

Any ideas on how big/costly a job this is?

I'm not afraid of graft myself, but as i said previously have next to no experience!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! :D

Sponsored Links
You will nned to change you HW cylinder to an unvented model to be able to do what you post.

Thanks for the quick response!
I should have said that there is a combi boiler (which i may also have to replace/move) rather than a hw tank -
not sure what the header tank feeds - would the combi have a direct feed already?

Sponsored Links
if you have a combi boiler, you should not need a water tank. Presumably you have no hot water cylinder.

If the flat is a conversion or bodge, the tank might supply a downstairs flat

Show us some pictures.

Unfortunately i'm not in the flat yet, so can't really get any pics.

it's just one of those big black plastic square buckets on a shelf in the cupboard (presumably the hotwater tank used to be underneath it before the combi was put in about 10 years ago.

It's a 1920's 2 story terrace (some are flats and some houses) but all were purpose built as such at the time.

One of my friends lives on the same housing estate and doesn't have the cold water tank, but the changes had been made before he moved in so doesn't know any details.

I presume it's only really feeding the toilet, as taps and washing machine should be mains (?)
Really wondered about the logistics of ripping it out and whether it was a big job to swap the feed to those that had previously used the header...

:?:

If it is inyour flat, rather than in the loft, it is unlikely that it feeds the neighbours, but in London anything is possible. You should test and find out before altering things.
The more likely option is that the boiler was installed on the cheap, and the installer didn't bother to convert the whole system to mains. Usually just a matter of checking that all taps/cisterns can take the higher pressure, and if so, remove the old tank and connect the rest to mains.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back