Removing home surround sound system tips PLEASE!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone!

New to here so nice to meet you all

I am new to DIY... I just removed the previous owners surround sound system and now hoping to get some pointes.

1) what I should do to make safe the leftover black/red wires?
2) I also want to be able to fill, sand and paint over the holes from where the speakers sat (4 corners of the room) and also the wall socket which was used to control the speakers in different parts of the house.

Thanks
John

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-11-27 at 14.11.58.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-11-27 at 14.11.58.jpeg
    191.8 KB · Views: 108
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-11-27 at 14.11.57.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-11-27 at 14.11.57.jpeg
    213.7 KB · Views: 107
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-11-27 at 14.11.56.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-11-27 at 14.11.56.jpeg
    110 KB · Views: 103
Sponsored Links
so no chance of having anything in the future where that wiring maybe useful
it looks like just wiring to connect speakers front/back maybe a baseunit

i would see if i can get a small piece of plasterboard and cut to size over the gaps and fill

I did this myself only 3 weeks ago when redoing our lounge and managed to get a small piece of plasterboard from homebase
well, 6ft x 3ft and only needed 12"x12"

Image 2- You can unscrew those plastic wall plugs.

There are many ways to fill the old back boxes. @ETAF 's will work, or use a basecoat plaster such as browning and fill over the top with a filler of your choice.

One problem that you will have is that your walls have been painted pretty badly. You will end up with flat areas that meet heavy paint build up.

Thanks both - and do you have any pointers on what to do with the wires sitting in the back boxes? Can these just be left there?

Sponsored Links
n what to do with the wires sitting in the back boxe
Cut them off, as they will never be used again for anything.
Hoik the backboxes out of the wall as well if you want to fill it in.

In the unlikely event you or someone actually wants a surround sound system in the future, they are mostly wireless now. The idea of stringing speaker cables all over the place is obsolete.

In the unlikely event you or someone actually wants a surround sound system in the future, they are mostly wireless now. The idea of stringing speaker cables all over the place is obsolete.
Wireless speakers still need power to run, so if you don't use speaker cables you have to run power in some way to the speaker locations.

And presumably the power to them is wireless too?

Hi everyone!

New to here so nice to meet you all

I am new to DIY... I just removed the previous owners surround sound system and now hoping to get some pointes.

1) what I should do to make safe the leftover black/red wires?
2) I also want to be able to fill, sand and paint over the holes from where the speakers sat (4 corners of the room) and also the wall socket which was used to control the speakers in different parts of the house.

Thanks
John
I usually go for thick cardboard before plastering. Fold it inwards to give a space for the plaster to key to the box. Just leave the cables coiled behind.
1701178322333.png

Personaly, I would keep them and plug in surround sound system.
To have these wires already hidden and installed is a God send !
I've never had one untill three years ago and I'll always have one now.

Personaly, I would keep them and plug in surround sound system.
To have these wires already hidden and installed is a God send !
I've never had one untill three years ago and I'll always have one now.
Funny thing is sales of surround systems has fallen right off, people seem to use portable sound systems these days and developers no longer provide the facility.

Given the prevalence of people watching endless hours of video on tiny screens with tinny little speakers, I have to conclude that the man on the Clapham omnibus simply DGAF about quality.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back