Removing laminate - effect on skirting boards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Novice DIYer here. We'd like to remove the laminate flooring in our hallway to reveal the original floorboards underneath. Obviously this will make the floor lower, as the laminate + chipboard was about 8mm deep.

Please can someone advise what we'd do to the skirting board? Remove and replace or remove and reattach?

I'm also a bit worried that the doors leading from the hallway will be too short if we lower the floor, unless there's a quick fix way to alleviate any gaps.

I'm trying to work out if the consequences of removing the laminate are more hassle than keeping the ugly laminate itself!

[/img]

Sponsored Links
Simply using a nice sharp Stanley knife run the blade along the the top to cut the paint line or caulk. Then using a couple of chisels gently remove aim the chisel for where there is solid studs so not to bust the plaster just take your time and work them off gently. The with a set of pincers pull the nails through don't try to hammer them back it will damage the face and mark where they belong at any mitres scrape off the glue with a sharp chisel or knife. I would use a block plane but as a diyer you might not have the skill. Then lift the flooring and putting the skirting back and job is done

before you go mad try and lift an inch or so an area in say a doorway so you can check without damaging the laminate and see whats underneath it may be unrepairable flooring or even lovely chipboard :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back