Removing load bearing wall - questioning structual engineer solution.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, new to the site. We are removing a wall between our kitchen and dining room. We've had a SE come out and carry out his survey and provide us with steel calculations and padstones etc. He has also stated that we will need to have a new brick pier (225 x 225) built for the padstone that is depicted by a B in a circle on the attached photo that should be tied into the surrounding masonry. On the photo the red A is a stud wall that has a doorway which we are infilling with further stud. The red B is a door way that is remaining that has masonry above it.

I'm under the impression that the SE assumed that wall A (stud wall) was actually a masonry wall. I've spoken to him again since he sent his plans through to confirm that wall A is in fact all stud. SE came back with 'Doorway to be infilled with stud to match. New pier is to be tied back to stud wall with s/s ties at 225c/c screwed into doubled up end stud. Pier to be strapped to floor joists with 30x5x1000mm long restraint strap'.

I'm aware the SE is well qualified but my questions are 1) Is this a normal practice, 2) Will this provide enough support for the new pier?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230822_204331_Gallery (1).jpg
    Screenshot_20230822_204331_Gallery (1).jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 74
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back