Removing Maynell shower valve Grrrrr!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to remove the shower valve from my parents house. The pipework is all unsupported so if you undo it it all falls away behind the shower wall. Quality plumbers!
The outlet pipe goes down and out through the wall to the shower hose elbow.
You can undo all the unions but cannot remove the outlet until the valve is removed (obviously) but the outlet nut drops down the pipe so it cannot be reached to refit! oops! I cut a bit of wall so the pipe could be removed and the nut then secured on the pipe with some tape. I assumed the valve would be a 1/4 turn off the backplate and remove but no - it has a grub screw on the valve body.
Coud not seem to get the grub screw out.
I then discovered another grub screw at about 8 o'clock on the valve body!
My allen key set would not provide a key that would fit. So what the hell size grub screw is it??
Spent hours at fingertip reach and still can't release the damn body.
Also i could not undo the big centre nut (lefthand thread??) so i do need to remove to reseal or descale the body.
Any idea please what size these grub screws are??

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back