Removing mushroom mold from joists

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm renovating an old 1903 house and have discovered a serious case of mold on two joists.

I probably should have took some photos but needless to say the mold growing on a 2 to 3 foot section of the two joists is quite substantial and thick. It is white and light brown in colour.

The joists are most probably oak given the age of the house and not sure what damage leaving the mold long term will do but I want it removed safely as it is likely a health hazard anyway :oops:

How do you get rid of this? Is there anything to treat this mold with that will make kill it or dry it up so that it can be scraped off? Not sure what is best done here!!

Clearly once it's off, I need to access whether the joists need replacing or treating to prevent any re-occurrence of it returning

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I will try and get some pictures when I am next there, probably at the weekend...

In the meantime, I've had a look at the what dry rot is and I can say it is most definitely like this:

1663013052706.png

only in my case 1000 times worse and on joists... (and a window frame it turns out!!)

I have used Cuprinol Five Star as a preventative measure but I suspect this place hasn't seen any preservatives whatsoever :rolleyes:
Could I use Cuprinol now or does this only work for prevention? I'm not in a position yet to replace the joists but I need something that will firstly prevent any further spread and secondly remove the mold so I can see what the damage actually is...

I don't suppose there is anything out there which will not only kill the fungus but also make it fall off is there ???

For the stuff to spread there is a leak (it needs water), so the first thing to do is to find and fix the leak(s). It won't fall off - it is growing through the timbers and generally extends for up to a metre beyond the visible surface damage. We normally don't treat it, we fix the leaks and cut the damaged pieces out and replace them - any timber with a moisture content over 16% can support this stuff - dry timber is in the 8 to 12% MC range

Or in other words, Cuprinol won't help much

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
Thanks guys.

Looks like I'll have to address this sooner rather than later than I planned :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back