Removing non-return valves from shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

A few months ago, I had a shower fitted (Bathstore) with a salamander pump. The pump was also connected to the ensuite shower.

Ensuite shower works brilliantly, but new Bathstore shower valve is having issues:

1..Intermittent problem getting any water output. Workaround is to jumpstart the pump using the ensuite shower!
2..Once water output starts flowing, water temperature doesnt stay warm. It goes cold after a while and I have to turn shower on/off to get warm water again.

Bathstore are saying its not a fault with shower but a negative head issue.
Plumber thinks NRVs is sticking and needs removing. Bathstore are saying that if it is a NRV issue, plumber should have taken them out in the first place because it is 'common' practice. Essentially, they're not accepting liability or my warranty claim.

So what should I do?

Is it safe to remove NRVs from the shower valve? The plumber says that there is only a small risk of the hot/cold waters mixing.

Should I replace the NRVs? Is there a way to check if current NRVs are sticking?

Any help appreciated. The kids have been having cold showers for the past couple of months.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
as this setup is on a shower pump arrangement i cant see the need for check valves.

as this setup is on a shower pump arrangement i cant see the need for check valves.

Holty,

Thanks for your replay.

The salamander pump itself does not have NRVs. I have checked with Salamander on this.

NRVs,check valves same thing.and i didnt meant the pump.NRVs are normally meant to combat fluid risks but wont bore you about that.as you should have some sort of equal pressure taking in account there could be a loss due to pipework and all. i would think the shower NRVs would not pose as a benefit but a hinderance.as there only single check valves thought id have thought they wouldnt pose much of problem one thing to check though was the right flow restrictor used on initial setup.

Sponsored Links
sorry i ment to say was there any flow restrictors put in.very tired now and not making sense, long day.

sorry i ment to say was there any flow restrictors put in.very tired now and not making sense, long day.

Not that I'm aware of or that I can see apart from the service valves.

The plumber said that the risk of removing the NRVs from the shower was that the hot/water supply mixing and the pump might overrun (ie. when shower is turned off, pump continues for a short time).

I just want to make sure that it will fix my problem and that its safe to do so (without causing other problems in my plimbing) otherwise its more money down the drain.

forgot to ask what set up do you have. twin impeller supplied by tank fed hot and cold or single impeller hot supply, with mains fed cold to the shower.for one if the service valves your on about are ball o fix type. there not gonna help if in 15mm.

forgot to ask what set up do you have. twin impeller supplied by tank fed hot and cold or single impeller hot supply, with mains fed cold to the shower.for one if the service valves your on about are ball o fix type. there not gonna help if in 15mm.

its twin impeller supplied by tank for both hot and cold. Service valves on 22mm pipework.

its twin impeller supplied by tank for both hot and cold. Service valves on 22mm pipework.

bump! anyone else have any suggestions?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back