Removing oil stains from new brick drive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm sure this question has been asked loads of times, but the search facility didn't help me.
So, I've got new black oil stains on me tumbled concrete pavers, I've tried salt, washing up liquid, cillit bang and cellulose thinners, they have collectively managed to reduce the stains, but they're still there looking up n smiling at me...........................anyone got any ideas apart from dig em out/turn em over!

Sponsored Links
In Halfords or similar motoirists shops you can get Oil Stain Remover. I am currentlu using one made by Swarfega in a 5-litre red plastic bottle. It is a strong concentrated water-soluble detergent. It is biodegradable and more or less the same as Fairy Liquid, but stronger. You can also use it under the bonnet of the car if very dirty, on a wet rag. You brush it in to the stain and hose it off. You may need to apply several times if the stain is old and bad and has soaked in. I suspect your thinners may have helped it penetrate deeper :(

Gunk also make one, but be sure to get the water-soluble detergent and not the old engine cleaner in tins or sprays.

Do not let the dirty black water lie in puddles when you rinse it off, or it may cause a new stain.

Try putting dry washing powder on it leave over night then wash/brush it in then rinse off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back