Removing old bitumen from indoor concrete floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have removed old black Marley tiles from a concrete floor in my hallway which has left most of the bitumen adhesive stuck to the concrete.

I want to lay porcelain floor tiles and the technical guy said I must remove the bitumen, otherwise the tile adhesive will react to it or it will flake off and eventually the tiles will "pop".

So far I`ve tried chemical strippers and abrasives but these tend to just move it around after melting it.

Some of it will scrape off by hand but it`s taking forever

Please help !!

Sponsored Links
I had a similar problem, Juniper. When I needed to remove very old bitumen backed lino tiles, their bitumen backing remaining on the floor. Couldn't dissolve it (safely) with anything.
In the end I used an old 2" chisel. surprisingly the bitumen actually snapped cleanly a bit at a time. Labour intensive, yes, but I was desperate. :(

Rob Roy said:
I had a similar problem, Juniper. When I needed to remove very old bitumen backed lino tiles, their bitumen backing remaining on the floor. Couldn't dissolve it (safely) with anything.
In the end I used an old 2" chisel. surprisingly the bitumen actually snapped cleanly a bit at a time. Labour intensive, yes, but I was desperate. :(

Thanks Rob, I`ll give chiseling a go ( Has to better than Nitromorse or sanding!! ) - Now where`s that old carpet to kneel on ? :) :) :) :)

Sponsored Links
Odourless kerosene will turn into liquid then soak it up with rags, wear the safety mask and gloves etc.

masona said:
Odourless kerosene will turn into liquid then soak it up with rags, wear the safety mask and gloves etc.

Many thanks! That sounds better but who supplies it and will it react with the tile adhesive or does it "flash off". I suppose if I wash it down with sugar soap it should be OK?:cool:

JUNIPERBLAUW said:
masona said:

Many thanks! That sounds better but who supplies it and will it react with the tile adhesive or does it "flash off". I suppose if I wash it down with sugar soap it should be OK?:cool:

Kerosene won't wash off with sugar soap, you'll need to mop up with rags, and give it some good ventilation.

Eddie M said:
JUNIPERBLAUW said:
masona said:

Kerosene won't wash off with sugar soap, you'll need to mop up with rags, and give it some good ventilation.

That`s fine Masona, but who supplies it

JUNIPERBLAUW said:
That`s fine Masona, but who supplies it
I'm not sure :oops: We use it in petrol and in our bitumen lab, you can try this company who maybe able to help you or find your nearest supplier.

try a floor scrapper if that doesnt shift it the chances of it falling off and landing on your ceiling are slim. Mix pva with cement and sand till its a grey colour and creamy and use a roller to put it on the floor. The next day it should be sound to tile on after another coat of pva 5-1 to kill the suction, and away you go.

Suppose you could always pour liquid nitrogen over it, that would make it brittle, err, no on second thoughts perhaps not.

jbonding said:
try a floor scrapper if that doesnt shift it the chances of it falling off and landing on your ceiling are slim. Mix pva with cement and sand till its a grey colour and creamy and use a roller to put it on the floor. The next day it should be sound to tile on after another coat of pva 5-1 to kill the suction, and away you go.

I`ve removed all the loose stuff and want to try your method.
However, do I need to thin the PVA with water or just use it neat with the sand / cement ? :confused:

get a 5lt tub for about a tenner, i mixed it about 2pva to one water and mixed it creamy and apply with a roller then pva the next day 5 water to 1 pva and apply with a roller to kill any suction and remove the dust.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back