Underfloor heating & bitumen residue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to lay electric underfloor heating in my kitchen on a concrete floor. At the moment there are thermoplastic tiles stuck to the floor with a thin layer of bitumen. I will remove the tiles ready to lay limestone tiles.
Is it safe to lay the wire on this thin layer of bitumen? I'm not concerned with it catching fire as I'm only using 150W/m2 wire mat but I'm quite concerned about the possibility of smells if the bitumen becomes 'tacky' when the wire heats up.
I'll scrape as much as I can off the floor before I lay the wire and tile. Any advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
What make of mat are you using?

What does the manufacturer say about the substrate?

There is no mention about dfferent types of substrate. The details below are taken from the advert:

"Kit comprises 150m twin wire earth screened heating cable mounted on robust drum, fully programmable AUBE 132-F thermostat with floor probe and conduit housing, adhesive tapes, floor priming solution and applicator.

Twin wire earth screened cables require electrical connection at one end only and are suitable for use in all rooms including bathrooms.

Cables are manufactured by Dansk Varme Cable in Denmark to the highest quality standards including approvals from SEMKO. All kits are CE marked."

I assume from the absence of comments that what I plan to do is ok? I have removed the tiles and the black adhesive (?bitumen?) is approx 0mm to 2mm thick and laid on self-leveller. With much effort, I can scrape down to about 1/2 mm so can I wipe this with some kind of chemical to get rid of the remainder?
Final comments appreciated :confused:

Sponsored Links
Rimrogs said:
I assume from the absence of comments that what I plan to do is ok?
I don't know - do you assume it or don't you?

Rimrogs said:
There is no mention about dfferent types of substrate. The details below are taken from the advert
Which advert? For which product?

"Cables are manufactured by Dansk Varme Cable in Denmark to the highest quality standards including approvals from SEMKO. All kits are CE marked."
Hm. Wasn't this one, was it? If so, have you not read this:

The eBay seller said:
You are buying from a BS kite mark registered installer of electric underfloor heating systems, feel free to ring us free for design and installation advice.
FREE PHONE 0800 7835366

or visit http://www.floorheatingsolutions.co.uk/, which, BTW, says this:

"All electrical underfloor heating installations must be installed or tested by a certified competant person and your local building control office notified."

:rolleyes:

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Cheers Softus - must not have been as diligent as I should :rolleyes:
There seems to be enough info for me to complete this job now - thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back