Laying underfloor heating onto bitumen?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

Last night I picked up the existing laminate in our kitchen area, to find some "pink" floor tiles underneath. Looking closer, the adhesive is black. Our plumber that we have in at the moment, suggested that this was bitumen.

Question. According to FAQ's of Warmup underfloor heating bitumen must be removed, but could I leave the tiles (on the bitumen) and place the underfloor heating ontop of the tiles, then lay our granite tiles ontop of that (hight of the floor is not an issue at this stage).

Surely the heat from the underfloor heating would melt the bitumen right? Not to mention any odour ??

If it helps - the underfloor heating mat is from Screwfix - it's not the Warmup one.

Sponsored Links
Bitumen is 'left-over' product of oil (crude oil). Will melt and smell terrible (and is health risk! ! )Adivce on Warmup isn't there for nothing , no short cuts there I'm afraid.

Thanks for the reply. I've read some difficulty is involved in the removal of this stuff, so what about insulating it away from the heat (funnily enough, with insulating boards).

Would that be sufficient ? If they're good boards, I'm not sure why it would'nt be .. but it's worthy of you more knowledgeable folk :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back