Removing old sealant compounds

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When you need to remake a joint and have to remove the old sealants (combinations of teflon tape, jet blue, fernox, etc) what do you do?

The way I have been doing it was to use a cotton bud soaked in acetone to wipe around with, which worked well until I ran out of acetone. I then used wire brush to get the worst out and wire wool followed by a cloth to finish off.

What's the best way to go about it? And any good ideas for getting that green sealant gunk off my wire brush (i.e. a substance to soak it in).

Sponsored Links
Buy a new one tight arse theyre only a pound or so!!! haha

Seriously i use a stanley to get the tape off and wire brush the sealant off if needed

Buy a new one tight a**e theyre only a pound or so!!! haha

It was a series of connected parts, the sealant was on a part I didn't want to remove.

However I am a tight a**e :D

Seriously i use a stanley to get the tape off and wire brush the sealant off if needed

Like me then, cept if you got a bit of acetone with cotton buds that works nicely indeed. Rubbing alcohol might even, but acetones easy enuf to get, bit pricey if you buy it from a pharmacy but I bet there's industrial suppliers, I think fibreglass people use it.

Sponsored Links
It was a series of connected parts, the sealant was on a part I didn't want to remove.

However I am a tight a**e :D

actually meant the brush!!!! seems you are indeed :LOL:

Get the acetone from fibreglass or eBay like poster above says then pour into the little pharmacy bottles for easy carrying around.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back