Removing old tiles, putting new on... whats inbetween?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Have just taken the old tiled splashback off the walls in my kitchen. Came off reasonable easy thankfully.

I have scraped all of the loose adhesive from the wall where the tiles were but do I need to get every last bit off or will it be ok as long as all of the loose stuff is off?

Under the old adhesive is skim which in turn is on the plasterboard - should I use a primer on the skim / old adhesive before putting the new adhesive on or just go for it as is?

Finally - the old splashback was only two 10cm tiles tall - with the new tiles I intend to go all of the way up to the bottom of the wall units. Any tiles above where the old ones were will be on painted skim... again will this need priming?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sponsored Links
You need to get the walls as flat as you can before re-tiling or the new tiles won’t sit flat & look awful so, yes, get all the adhesive ridges off. Water or a steamer will help but don’t overdo it or the heat build up will blow the plaster off the walls; rough fill any holes. Never use a primer unless your chosen adhesive manufacturer recommends it but the paint should be scuffed if it’s vinyl sheen; never use PVA. The type of adhesive you use will depend on weight/size of tiles (tub mix up to 300 x 300mm cement powder over that) but only ever use quality trade flexible adhesive/grout, not cheapo DIY stuff.

Cheers guys, much appreciated - will get cracking on it.

Sponsored Links
scrape or sand the old addy till its flat.
if its a splashback with cermic tiles(if mosiac get as flat as hell).
then if you use a good branded tubbed addy..ardex/bal/mapei/weber these tubs of addy will have an acrylic primer already in the mix.

wee tip with the paint coat,put some gaffer tape etc on the paint leave for 10-15min then peel off,if paint comes away with said tape then remove,if not score with stanley blade and tile.

rough fill any holes.

When you say rough fill any holes, is it ok to just use a general purpose filler or is there something specific I should use?

I'm not taking big holes through the plasterboard here, just where the plaster has come off the plasterboard - about 4 inches diameter.

Apart from the two holes where the plaster has come off (as above), its looking pretty damn smooth now.

Just a general purpose filler will do or a little finishing/one coat plaster if you have any (do not use base plaster) or even tile adhesive but it's not my most favoured trick as it tends to shrink back. Damp the areas down a little with water (kitchen spray) where the filler is going; it doesn’t have to be perfect as long as it’s flat & level with the surrounding wall.

Richard C";p="1639038 said:
or even tile adhesive but it's not my most favoured trick as it tends to shrink back. quote]

Shrinks back is correct, what tiles and size are you putting back onto the wall mate?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back