TILING IN THE BATHROOM

adm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For some reason none of the new tiles i have just put up on the bathroom wall will adhere, after leaving them for 24 hrs they were easily pulled of the wall with
all the adhesive stuck to the tile and not a trace on the wall and it still felt quite wet to the touch and quite crumbly. The adhesive used was unibond and the wall surface was skimmed plaster board wall which was skimmed many moons ago which had just been emulsioned over so i scraped off all the emulsion but forgot to wipe clean and did not prime surface,could these be the reason for my unsuccesful attempt at tiling?

Sponsored Links
Wipe down the walls and prime with an acrylic primer.

Unibond gets a lot of bad press on here,I have never used it myself but if what you read on here is anything to go by I would get myself some different adhesive.

If Im using tub adhesive I get it from a trade supplier or if Im really stuck I will use cerafix which you can get from B&Q.

As for powdered adhesive I use benfer or granfix again from a trade supplier.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replys to my question and in answering gcol question, yes i did put the adhesive on the tile as i found this easier than putting it on the wall as this is my first attempt at tiling, but what i would like to know now if the tiles will be alright to re-use, i have as follows after reading some posts.

1. Cleaned all the adhesive off the back of the tiles.(which took an age)
2. Scored and thouroughly wiped and washed the walls (twice),
3. Given the walls two coats of BAL APD primer (which a lot of people who post on this site seem to recommend ).
4. and finally also purchased some BAL white star adhesive which i will get onto the walls even if i need the wife to do it for me ( some chance !!!! )

So finally would any of you say that the tiles should be alright to use or are they no good ?

If you have cleaned off the adhesive then they will be fine to reuse.

Thanks for the replys to my question and in answering gcol question, yes i did put the adhesive on the tile as i found this easier than putting it on the wall as this is my first attempt at tiling, but what i would like to know now if the tiles will be alright to re-use, i have as follows after reading some posts.

1. Cleaned all the adhesive off the back of the tiles.(which took an age)
2. Scored and thouroughly wiped and washed the walls (twice),
3. Given the walls two coats of BAL APD primer (which a lot of people who post on this site seem to recommend ).
4. and finally also purchased some BAL white star adhesive which i will get onto the walls even if i need the wife to do it for me ( some chance !!!! )

So finally would any of you say that the tiles should be alright to use or are they no good ?

You won't go far wrong with this method...BAL are a quality product, we have been using them for many years & never had any problems.

Tiles should be fine to use aslong as you have got all of that inferior adhesive off them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back